NHTSA Receives More Complaints of Shattering F-150 Back Lites

More than 30 owners of the 2010 Ford F-150 model have complained to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) that an alleged glitch in their rear defrosters has caused their back lites to shatter or spiderweb in cracks.

“The contact owns a 2010 Ford F-150. The contact stated that the passenger and driver’s side windows suddenly shattered. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the failure could not be diagnosed. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure,” an owner reported to NHSTA on June 16, 2014.

Another owner reported on May 5, 2014, “Turned defrost on rear power slider window and heard a loud explosion like a gunshot and the rear window on the passenger side shattered. There are small pieces of glass in the bed of the truck and on the backseat. Temperatures were in the mild 30s’ at the time. This was a problem with the defrost causing the glass to shatter. Ford will not cover repairs or replacement of the glass. Mileage was less than 30,000. Truck is also covered under extended maintenance plan, but Ford will not cover it there either.”

In another reported instance, the owner says “I turned on the rear window defrost and a few minutes later the right-rear window (of the three-piece power sliding rear window) exploded.”

“The driver’s side pane of three-paned rear window spider web cracked throughout the entire thing from the rear defrost overheating. While taping the window up, I could feel the tiny shard of glass falling off and sometimes cutting me,” another owner reported to NHTSA.

Several of the owners involved in these alleged incidents reported the situations to dealers and Ford; however, they claim Ford would not cover the repairs.

“We use tempered glass in our windows, which meets all NHTSA safety requirements and is designed to reduce the risk of injury from glass by breaking into small pieces. There are many reasons that could cause glass to break,” says Kelli Felker, Ford’s safety communications manager.

NHTSA does not have an open investigation of this reported issue; however, there are two service bulletins issued on the 2010 Ford F-150 model that could be related.

In Service Bulletin No. TSB-13-5-15, the automaker reports, “On some vehicles, the rear sliding glass center panel has a water leakage at the side panel. (Model 2010-2013 F-150).”

In Service Bulletin No. ASI-32259, Ford reports, “A power sliding rear window, on some vehicles, may experience a possible inoperative rear-window defrost. (Models 2010-2013 F-150.)

This entry was posted in glassBYTEs Original Story and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

159 Responses to NHTSA Receives More Complaints of Shattering F-150 Back Lites

1. Pingback: NHTSA Receives More Complaints of Shattering F-150 Back Lites | Auto Glass Safety Council™

2. Jeremy says:

I just had this happen to me. I tried the defrost last night. It wasn’t working so I suspected the fuse blew. Went to work and then coming home from work this morning on the highway I heard a loud bang like a rock kicked up onto the undercarriage. Immediately I saw the defrost light flickering and then coming on, then going off. Noticed when I pulled into the gas station that the driver side of the 3 panel rear window was spidered. I own a 2012 Ford F-150.

• Jerry Mulligan says:

Just happened to me. I have a 2013 F-150. Setting in the drive and heard what i thought was a rock hitting the truck. Didn’t think much about it until I started to back out and noticed the passenger side rear panel was completely shattered. Plan to see dealer tomorrow. Hope my results are better than everyone else I’ve read about…..not holding my breath though!!

• Robert Spencer says:

This Same thing just happened to me on my 2013 F-150 I have 37,800 miles with and extended warranty the extended warranty says they do not cover glass so I have asked than how do they plan on repairing the failure of the rear window defroster if the glass is not repaired? Customer service at Ford as told me that they will put in a ticket to the Service manager at the dealer to help but like others how the heck is this our fault and now got to come out of pocket 600 bucks to fix just not right when the knowing know the fault is there

3. C. Pendes says:

I just had the same exact thing happen to me last week. The rear defrost has been working intermittently for the last couple of weeks. Last week I was driving home and heard a loud explosion which sounded like a gun shot. I was so startled that I swerved into another lane (luckily there was no oncoming traffic). I pulled over and noticed the passenger side of the 3 panel rear window was spidered. We have a 2010 FX4 Supercrew.

4. Kevin Clark says:

I had the same experience. I was driving my 2010 f150 to work and had my rear defroster on, I had stopped at a traffic light and when I started driving I heard a loud noise and thought my truck had been shot at. I pulled into a lighted parking lot and started looking around my truck and saw nothing wrong, when I left work that afternoon I looked in my rear view mirror and noticed that my passenger side rear window was shattered and the only thing holding it together was the tint on the window. I called the ford company and they told me there was no recall on this and it was the first he has heard of this defect. It is going to cost around $750.00 to fix this I have an extended warranty and this isn’t covered, so much for an extended warranty I thought it would cover things like this.

5. Patrick Walsh says:

Saturday, 20 December around 0845 with temps around 20F. Started truck, drove for around three minutes with rear window defroster on. Loud sound from rear of truck. Right rear window of the 2010 F150 SLT 4X shattered but still in place.
    This is a product defect. Plenty of reports of same defect on various sites.
    I like my truck and have had Ford vehicles for over 50 years.
    Ford, fess-up and fix your defective rear window/defroster at no cost to us.

6. Jeremy says:

I ended up taking my truck in to the dealership and they said I still had the original warranty left on it so they are fixing it free of charge (lets hope they stick with that when I go in to pick up my truck.) It’s going to take over a week to get it done, but should be worth it if I don’t have to end up paying. I have heard of extended warranties being a little iffy, so I opted out of the extended warranty. I took it to the dealership and the defrost ended up not working anymore so I have them looking into that problem while they replace the glass. I live in a smaller town so that might be more helpful with the service I get from them.

You guys said it was like a gunshot/explosion. After thinking back, I did have my music pretty loud and I heard it over the music, really loud. Nobody I know has ever heard of this before, and the dealership from what I know never heard of this before, but I mentioned there was an article regarding this incident.

• Lynn says:

I didn’t hear a loud sound, I only heard the glass shatter. I don’t think I even had the rear defrost on. There is a canopy on the back,so rear defrost makes no difference. I won’t turn it on now for sure!

7. Joe Anderson says:

I just had the same thing happen to me as well. Just like all the other posts, the temp outside was about 18 degrees, I was driving down the road and thought a rock hit the top of my cab like a loud explosion. I looked everywhere, but didn’t notice it was my rear three piece power window on the drivers side that shattered. I just came back from the repair shop. It was a $600 repair. The repair shop said this was happening to a lot of Fords and I should check to see if there was any warranty on this fix.

8. Greg Wissel says:

Right rear window shattered. Turned defroster on and heard a loud bang like a gun shot! 01/14/2015 Same scenario as others that left replies here. Definately not happy about this!!

9. Brian says:

The same thing just happen to me. Ford is not denying that it happens. They just are not admitting that there is a problem. The dealership actually told me that, “When the temperature gets cold outside and then the defroster is turned on, it can cause damage to the glass.” Wow! I thought that is what the defroster was for??!!??!!!! They had no response when I brought that to their attention. They told me to call Ford Customer Service. I did, but they said since there is no recall at this time, they are not willing to help.

10. Paul says:

Wow, good times. This just happened to me today as well. 25 degrees out, using the defroster and heard the “gun shot” while on the freeway. It took me a minute to figure out what happened, needless to say I’m not pleased. Especially now that I’ve read up on how much this is going to cost me and how widespread of a problem this is.

11. Paul Syracuse says:

I own a 2012 F150 and my rear window defogger dash light quite working as did my rear window and mirrors. I took it to my dealer and they said they would have to trace the problem. The dealer was fast to say it’s out of warranty. Obviously the dealership must know of this problem so I’m going to give them and ultimatum. We also have a 2013 Edge. If Ford refuses to fix this under warranty and as much as I like my Fords, I may have end my relationship with Ford. We buys 2 new Fords every 2-3 years.

• earl says:

my light will not come on at all and it quit working shortly after i bought the truck use its been 1.5 yrs now with out it, replaced the break relay and the other relay is fine but nothing i have read that the problem is the wiring in the rear window.

12. Tony Miller says:

My 2010 F150 has the power slider rear window with electric defroster. While having the defroster on one cold morning it made a popping noise and shattered. I called my dealer with the problem and they would not do a thing about it. I also called Ford customer service and they would not do a thing about it and said they were unaware of and problems with the windows. However I read quite a few complaints here and on other websites. Come on FoMoCo obviously this is a reoccurring problem and you need to stand behind the cost for replacements.

13. Ken Schuchardt says:

I own a 2010 F150. Driving to work last friday in the dark i heard what sounded like something hit the roof the the truck. No other vehicles on the road. I thought maybe i hit a low hanging wire in the road because that happened recently. The rear window defroster was on. Friday afternoon i got in the truck and looked in the rear view mirror to see if the window was clear and noticed the passenger side rear window shattered. When i got home i looked for obvious signs of a BB shot. I saw nothing. I decided to go online and I googled 2010 Ford F150 rear window replacement. One of the options in google was for rear window shattered. I have seen replacement pricing comments from 575.00 to 800.00. I have not contacted ford yet but from what i have read, Ford will not cover the repair. I decided to leave a comment here because if there are enough of these documented, maybe Ford will create a recall and people could get reimbursed. So save your paperwork.

14. Garrett Hackett says:

Driving to work today 2/2. 15 degrees. Hit the defrost did not turn on. Then the light on the button flashed 10 to 15 seconds later the “gunshot” sound passengers rear window shattered. 2012 f150 xlt 27,000 miles.

15. Derek says:

Add my 2011 F150 to the list. Shattered passenger rear window when using the rear defroster on a cold morning. Everyone should file a complaint with the NHTSA – best chance at getting a recall.

16. mike says:

This is my 2nd rear window that has exploded on the passenger side. Insurance covered the first one, minus the deductible. I’ll have to call tomorrow to notify them about this one.
    this is my last ford truck. I have had many fords, but all the issues with this 2011 model has turned me off.

17. mike says:

Add my 2011 f150.
    this is the second time

18. Ralph Dowling says:

Mine did not blow out. It initially had spider web cracks and after a few weeks, small pieces slowly fell out. Most of the window is intact. About $675 to repair.

19. Chris S says:

Me too. Today. -5c. Large bang and drivers side panel is broken but did not fall out…yet.

20. Bill Ratliff says:

I work at Ford in the design center and have a 2012 Ford F150. This just happened to me!!! The defrost flickered off and on then about 30 seconds later a loud explosion! The drivers side rear glass exploded and is 100% spider cracked!!!

21. Bill Ratliff says:

I will put cardboard in there at that replacements price and wait for the recall which has to come with so many people having issues!!

22. Randy says:

Put my 2013 Supercrew in the same category as pretty much all of the above… Intermittent problems with the rear defrost last couple months and then defrost just started working again without issue a month ago… Then, last night leaving Cuyahoga Valley; after a great hike, the temperature was about 20F. I turned rear defrost on and 5 mins later gunshot/large bang=broken driver’s side stationary pane on the rear slider. I have small kids and thankfully they were not in the truck at the time. Small shards of glass in the truck. Called dealer and have to bring in for “pictures” to send to Ford. Fingers crossed but breath not being held…

23. Laje says:

Same thing with my 2012 fx4. Intermittent rear defrost followed by a shattered right side glass.

24. Shelly Sapone says:

Add my 2013 F-150! Driver’s Side Panel spidered. Was not using the rear defrost specifically, but I had auto started it all day. Not sure if the rear defrost comes on when you auto start. 19 degrees.

Just went to Ford Dealership, he looked at it and I asked if I should contact Insurance company. He told me NO. Should be covered under warranty.

25. Matt says:

This has happened to me twice now on my 2010 F150 XLT. Two years ago I was driving to work on a cold day with the rear defroster on and heard a loud crack. I thought something had hit the roof of the truck. I later realized the glass was spidered on the drivers side of the rear window. It cost me $500 to have it replaced. Today I was driving to work again in the cold with the rear defroster on and the same thing happened. Drivers side of the rear window is spidered again. This is a major problem.

26. Sean says:

2011 f150HD
    Hit remote start on a 6 degree morning, come out to find the passenger side of the rear slider shattered. This is B.S.

27. Sean says:

2011 f150HD hit the remote start on a 6 degree morning. Come outside to find the rear passenger side window shattered and still spidering into 10000 pieces. Made a safety complaint with NHTSA as everyone should. This causes visual impairment and should be a Safety recall. I will be contacting my attorney.

28. Dan says:

Just happened to me, 2013 FX4 electric sliding window. Autostarted and came out to the window being broken. -8° out.

Come on Ford. Fix this! I love your trucks, I’ve had two in the last 4 years, but not recalling major issues is why I left GM. Not afraid to leave you!

29. Bryan says:

Happened last night. Remote start for a few minutes. 0 degrees. Get in truck, turn key, and POP. Already submitted NHTSA form. Fortunately the owner of the dealership is my neighbor. I’ll be contacting the dealership this morning. I don’t expect any issues. They have been great over the years. I am actually in the market to buy a new vehicle. It will be a FORD.

30. DKK says:

I have a 2011 Ford Lariat. Got in the truck and started to back out and noticed the rear passenger window shattered, still intact. No defrost had been used and the glass had not been struck by any object. The dealer would not cover the damage under warranty and told me to contact my insurance company. I have a 500.00 deductible. Not very happy with uncle Ford right now…

31. Ken says:

Just happened to me yesterday. 2012 F-150 Lariat. High 20 degree day, just started driving down road after truck heated up for 15 minutes. Loud bang sound inside cab, back passenger side window shattered. Small shards of glass hit my son who was sitting in back passenger seat. Took it immediately to glass company, and they stated nothing struck window. Also MD State Police was called and they looked at it and could not find impact point. Obvious flawed product!

32. Ed Kerfin says:

My 2104 rear window blew out this morning. wth?

33. Bob says:

And you can add my 2010 4WD F150 Lariat to the list. passenger side of my 3 piece rear window shattered for no reason, $700-$1000 to replace it. Is there a recall on this? Not happy at all.

34. Gary P says:

Owner 2013 ford f150 fx4 , rear defroster stopped working with side mirrors as well since they are connected, mechanic at the ford dealership , I wont mention right now, said the defroster was cut when it was tinted , since the tint is cut on the outside not the inside I told them they where wrong and the vehicle was tinted in 2013 with 100 miles on the truck , the truck now has 20,750 miles and the defroster stopped working 2 weeks ago .
    Did my own research and ohm/continuity test and determined the rear defroster is bad due to a problem that ford apparently has , the service writer said well see if you can pull up the tsb which I did. so ill see what happens , yay ford master tech for the quick response of saying the window was tinted and caused the problem… they wanted to charge me $115 dollars for the diagnostic , yep did not pay that , and picked my truck up ……conclusion to follow ….

35. Bart J. Kowalski says:

My 2010 F150 Platinum back window blew out also when it was zero out and the defroster was on. Sounded like a gun shot. I don’t like seeing that Ford is not going to cover it. First Ford in 30 years. Should of stayed with Chevy.

36. Dale y says:

2012 f150 lariat same thing goes to ford tomorrow

37. karen Polk says:

my 2011 f-150 to the list of shattered back glass on passenger side. It also has defrost

38. Donavan says:

2013 F-150 Raptor. Sitting in car waiting for it to warm up. Heard loud bang. Thought something fell on the roof. Jumped out, inspected and found drivers side rear window shattered. No chip marks like something hit it and objects in bed or around truck.

39. John w says:

Mine too. Just happened yesterday. Same story as others. Defroster on, then a bang. Pass side rear glass broke. 2011 f150 xlt 49k miles. Off to the dealer

40. Mike B says:

2015 F-150 FX4. A loud band, and the rear passenger side window had shattered. Also
    a lot of smoke coming from the same area. My 1st Ford, will be my last if Ford
    does not address this.

41. Mike says:

Add me to the list !!! 2010 F-150 Lariat !! I was driving down road early this morning with rear defrost on and passenger side rear glass shattered !!! Sounded like a gun had went off !! I stopped and checked and found glass shattered !!! I will be calling Ford Customer Service tomorrow !!!!

42. Pete Spears says:

Add my 2011 Platinum, around 1am, 5hrs into a 16 hr drive south to Myrtle Beach. Drivers side, shattered but still in place, no signs of a hit, bought some black duct tape…

43. Stan O says:

2010 F-150 Super Crew just blew up the driver side rear window with a power/ defrost. This is the 2nd time. First time in 11/2013 passenger side blew up.

44. Jose M says:

2013 F150 XLT Super Crew, auto started and came outside to find the driver’s side rear window shattered with no sign of impact. Thought it was vandalized until I saw all these complaints. It’s a three year lease that’s up in Jan. 2016, I hope Ford covers this.

45. Erick Satsky says:

Yup it happened to me also. 2013 Ford F150 FX2. Driver side rear window completely shattered.

46. Don Schrecker says:

I have a 2010 F150 with 33000 miles on it. I guess I was lucky not to have the glass shatter when it burnt the connection between the RH glass and where it crosses over under the lower rubber section to the LH glass. I just don’t use the rear defrost now even for the side heated mirrors that are on the same circuit. I contacted Ford to make arrangement with a Ford dealer to obtain a new unit that I would offer to put in as I am a repair shop and more than capable to do so. At no labor expense to them with the offer that they verify the problem when old unit sent back. I received the usual form letter back about how I am out of the 3 year warranty time. I have counted the complaints on NHSTA and it looks to be about 75% of complaints are about this problem. How many complaints does it take for action Ford before you “man up” and either fix or reimburse all the units that have gone bad and also cover the remaining for 10 years and not come up with the usual 7 year figure so as to eliminate your responsibility in covering all the bad units.

47. Phil says:

Add mine to the list. 2010 F-150, Same as all the others. 40 degrees, Smoke from bottom exterior of window first (daughter in rear seat called my attention to it).
    Was stopped at a red light, so looking right at it when it blew. Only looked at it for a couple seconds, trying to figure out if it was cold-start tailpipe smoke, saw it wasn’t. Then BANG. Gunshot sound, 100% spiderweb cracked, passenger side.

48. Matt says:

Add my 2011 f150 supercrew to the list. Was out vacuuming my truck out in 43 deg sunny day all doors were open. With shopvac by my head I still jumped when i head gunshot sound. Didnt realize what happened until minutes later. Rear driver side window shattered. Recall is needed asap.

49. Kyle Kinney says:

2013 Ford F150 platinum drivers side rear window completely shattered. I auto started the truck with keyless fob. It kicked on all the auto heating systems and blew out the window after a few minuets. My climate control was only set to 74. And i just did the vehicle health check report today too. I thought someone shot at me. They have got to fix this before it causes someone to have an accident other thank just the window.

50. Josh says:

Same thing happened to ours today for the second time!!! We had it fixed about two months ago cause it shattered when we were driving with the defrost on. Tonight started it with auto start went out to get in the truck and the back driver side window is shattered once again. Replacing the window obviously did not do anything. They need to recall this before kids in rear facing car seats end up with glass in their face of burnt from their vehicles starting on fire. We have a 2013 ford raptor 150.

51. Keith says:

It just happened!! My passenger side of the rear sliding window just shattered with the defroster in operation. Sounded like a gunshot. I just called the dealer and they told there is no recall and the repair would be $1050.00. Looking at all the complaints I see here, let alone the numerous others who haven’t written to a forum, leads me to think this is a huge issue of poor quality. I am going to contact FoMoCo and see what they have to say. I’m sending a PDF of this forum as evidence.

52. Carrie says:

2010 F-150 passenger rear window spidered this morning when I turned on rear defrost. Call Ed ford they told me no warranty no recall to bad for you pretty much. I am so disappointed by ford guess they are no better than Chevy after all. Once 50 people get hurt or die maybe the government will make them do something. Sounded like the truck got shot scared the crap outta me. Glad I didn’t have kids in the back would have made them deaf for a little while. Very very disappointed!

53. Drew Baker says:

April 2, 2015

Loud bang. Broken tempered glass.

My journey begins. Wish me luck.

• Drew Baker says:

I stopped by Dean Sellers Ford in Troy Michigan. Talked to service representative and she took some photos. My truck had a little over 11,000 miles. She sent an email and then told me that Ford would be taking care of the issue. She ordered the replacement glass . I scheduled my install for Thursday morning and was completed by 2:00 on Thursday. From the initial “explosion” to replacement took one week with NO out of pocket expense at all. She mentioned that the “problem” has been corrected and the new back window glass / defrost is a newer version. It shouldn’t happen again. (it shouldn’t have happened in the first place) . Overall, the experience with my dealer was exceptional especially when I read all the bad experiences had by others in this forum. Best of luck to all.

AB

54. Carrie says:

Contact ford and national highway safety association they are saying not enough complaints to do anything! Everyone needs to complain to them.

55. Shawn says:

The same thing as everyone else…I turned on defrost in order to power mirror heaters (foggy out and mirrors fogged up). Loud bang, thought something hit my truck. Stopped and inspected and saw nothing. Later the next day I realize my driver side rear glass is shattered…2014 FX4 with 21000 kms…Ford better come to the party after reading this….if not it will be my last ford…says a lot after a lifetime of buying nothing but Fords

56. David Miller says:

Same problem as everyone else however mine has not shattered yet. Had the window replaced once while under warranty and a little over a year later they need to replace it again. Ford refuses to stand behind their work and wants to charge me to replace it this time. No luck with customer service either. No recall is out only a service bulletin. So even though they know there is a problem, they refuse to acknowledge it and take care of their customers. I have always bought Ford’s but this may be my last!!

• Bill F Brown says:

• Bill Brown says:

I have a 2011 F150 Platinum with PremiumCare extended warranty and my window failed, but did not shatter. If you go to F150 Forum and read about this problem, Ford is fixing the window free for some owners, but not it for others with the same warranty. This should be a class action lawsuit since Ford is treating customers with the exact same warranty differently.

57. Franco says:

Hi i am from Québec today my back sliding window of my ford f150 fx4 2012 stop working But my lighiting inside the dôme light stars fading à bit thanks

58. George says:

Add my 2011 F-150, I’ve went to 2 dealerships and called Ford and they all claim that they have never heard of this! Very SAD! I will NEVER buy another Ford!!!!

59. Michael says:

2011 ford raptor rear window blew out no defrost on. Sounded like a shotgun blast!! Wth!!

60. Jim says:

Just today driving up I95 there was a very loud explosion. No cars or trucks around me and nothing came up from the road to hit the truck. Didn’t know what the problem was until my wife looking around saw that the driver side rear side window (crew cab) was completely disintegrated but still in place (film holding it together). Stopped and looked at it and there was no impact hole or obvious place anything hit. It was a million minute pieces held together by the tint film. This was a 2011 F350. No rear dfrost involved in this. Just very hot with AC on.

61. Mike Kerner says:

I have burnt electrical smell and discolored gridlines, Rear Defrost still seems to be working, but how long till the window blows. 2012 F150 Lariat. Dealer won’t replace, not a warranty part, glass. So I have to wait till she blows then raise a stink? Meanwhile my kid rides rear facing in a car seat. Geoffrey Fieger anyone?

62. mike says:

This just happened to me for the second time. The window popped while driving down the turnpike. Ford will not pay to replace it. They should!!!

63. John says:

Happened to mine also 2013 fx4, I have the premium extended warranty. I argued long enough with them that they are replacing it.

64. This happened to me last night. Sounded like a shotgun went off. Shattered the passenger rear glass. Why???? Why wont FORD recall this problem. This is an expensive problem to consumers.

65. I have a 2010 supercrew. Last November the back passenger side blew out. 2 weeks ago, the back driver side just blew out(spiderwebbed). I actually saw this happen, didn’t even have the rear defrosters on. I just heard an intial popping sound, kind of like something hittting the vehicle, and then POP! The back window just spiderwebbed. The shop i used to replace the glass last November told me that these windows were prone to this!

66. Doug T says:

2011 Supercrew F150 XLT, took my son to school, I thought we got hit by a golf ball or were being shot at, but no golf range around, we were startled. Dealer wants $900 bucks, Safelite wants $630, calling Ford tomorrow and filing a complaint with the NHTSA.

67. Carl p says:

2012 f250 super duty. Driver side window exploded sept 2014. Rear window exploded August 2015. Dealer and ford ignore problem.

68. Dan says:

Happened to me to noticed rear defrost button did not light up when pushed so don’t know if on or off so stop to get fuel on my way to work very shady part of North stl get out to fuel up with truck off and hear loud pop thought being shot at so I’m ducking looking to see who’s shooting don’t see nothing so go to work did not notice nothing til going home look in rear view mirror and saw passenger side rear window was shattered .Ford better fix this but from what I’m reading guess I’m screwed.

69. Damion G says:

9/22/2015 @ 7:20 Am. It was around 79 -82 degrees out, Just left work since I work the overnight shift. The rear glass was foggy so I turned on the defroster and within 5 minutes the rear right of the slider widow shattered. I started hearing some noise but before I could figure out what was going on the window went boom. My truck is a 2010 Supercrew FX2 f150 with 70,000 miles. There is an obvious problem here with the defroster FORD

70. John Foley says:

2011 Ford F150 Lariat Crew Cab. 50 degrees out, hit the rear defrost button, then BAM! passenger side rear window blew out!

71. Rich Dudek says:

Ironicly was driving to the ford dealership to get my 2014 f-150 supercrew serviced. Have 30,000 miles on it. Parked outside last night. Used remote start this am for 5 minutes. After driving 10 minutes with rear defrost on, heard super loud pop. Driver side rear of the slider window shattered.I showed the dealership they said its not a rare thing. Will call me Mon am to let me know what they can do. Cmon Ford, lets get this problem fixed !!!!

72. Tim says:

2011 f150 supercrew. Defroster stopped working. Glass still ok.

73. Rick Sager says:

Mine is 2013 4X4 Crew cab and after one min. of driving with the rear defroster on my passenger side of the slider shattered, took it to the dealer and am awaiting their decision. Ford really needs to get their act together

74. Randall Thomas says:

Rear window defogger stopped working, light does not come on. Took it to the dealership for troubleshooting. Was advised that it is the HVAC control module and it will take 3 days to get parts. Should I be concerned about the windows shattering? 2013 F150 SuperCab.

75. Peter says:

Happened to me this week. Thought I was under attack…

Rear defrost was on, temp was around 50F. After about 5 minutes of being on, I was sitting at a red light. It was pretty quiet inside the car, talk radio on. I hear a loud bang like the car had been shot, or a large rock or soda can thrown at it. I looked around and saw nothing flying, no broken glass…puzzled I drove to work. I got out and looked once I got to work and not dented metal.

Today, two days later I notice the right side of the rear slider window is shattered like a spider web.

Ford, this can’t just be coincidence…Now I have to pay an insurance deductible to get it fixed. Class action lawsuit?

76. Peter says:

Oh, it’s a 2010 F-150 Crew Cab, 28k miles.

77. Mark says:

Just happened to me today 11/09/2015. 2012 Ford F150 Supercab with 28,000 miles. Temp was 38 degrees. Turned on rear defogger and a few minutes later heard loud noise like a gunshot. Looked and passenger side rear window shattered. Rear defogger does not work anymore. Called dealer and they are going through insurance company for glass. The truck was Ford Certified and still under that warranty, also have the extended service plan so I hope this does not cost me out of pocket.

78. Emma says:

This happened to us yesterday, Sunday 11/8/2015. 2010 F150 4×4 Supercab. We were driving to church and my husband said it sounded like someone shot a gun at us! Then he saw the right (passenger side) rear window was shattered! He had turned on the defrost by accident. It was not very cold at all. Will Ford not fix this???????????

• Report to NHTSA. I’ve been trying to get a class action. Ford would only split the cost which would amount to $600. This is a Ford issue and we need a recall. Their balking at full payment with a cost of around $1200. The whole rear window needs replacing.
      GOOD LUCK.

79. Pingback: Disabling rear window defroster - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

80. George Santiago says:

I have a 2010 F-150 Lariat Crew Cab. On 12 Nov 2015 at about 7:20 I was driving to work and decided to turn on both the front and back window defoggers. It was fairly warm, but I did it out of force of habit. After about three or four minutes I heard a loud pop and thought I had been hit by a rock or even a stray bullet or something, but kept going because of my training….YOU DON”T STOP IF YOU”RE IN THE BOX. Later on I pulled over and could not find any point of impact. As I got in I noticed the passenger side rear glass panel was “spidered”, but still held together. Again no point of impact on the inside either. I’m going to take it to the dealer but expect the same response you all got.

81. tim says:

2012 f150 sliding rear window defroster light always came on and went off since i bought truck. now it doesnt coe on at all. window never broke but after reading all of these comments i took out rear defroster relay from fuse box under hood. should be a recall because after reading these comments it sounds dangerous to kids in back!

82. Jason says:

2011 F-150 Supercrew, just purchased a week ago. Same story, while my 9-yr old daughter rode in the back. Window exploded while driving in rain/snow mix. Dealership won’t help. We’ve been a Ford family for decades (my 4th Ford, brother was a die-maker for Ford for 20yrs). Can’t believe we have to eat this after signing a $20k loan. May be a game changer going forward.

83. Jason says:

Me again. If anyone knows of a class-action on this issue ease contact me.

84. Jason says:

Me again. If anyone knows of a class-action on this issue ease contact me. Jbeebe1571@hotmail.com

85. Joshua Gilmour says:

This happened to me two days ago. 2011 F150 FX4 SuperCrew. Rear window on passenger side shattered completely with a loud bang. 2-3°C. Defrost was used recently but was not on. No indication of problems with the defrost before failure.

86. Joshua Gilmour says:

Oh! I would like to ad that I had my one week old daughter in a rear facing car seat on the passenger side in the rear of the cab. Luckily the glass completely shattered but stayed in place. She could have been seriously injured.

87. Bryan Baker says:

I drive a 2014 F250 Super Duty. Driving down I95 in Florida the drivers door glass just seemed to explode right into my face and lap. Wasnt a rock because no one was in front of me or beside me. Glad I was wearing my safety glasses!

88. Fraser says:

2010 Lariat – just happened to me this morning about -2 out and about 3 minutes after turning the rear defroster on we heard a loud bang – passenger side rear pane spider cracked. How much has this cost people to have fixed?

89. Kristina says:

Just happened to hubby’s truck this morning. F-150 2010 4×4 Supercrew Cab. Right rear passenger side after using defrost. This sucks. How many “exact” complaints does FORD need?

90. Steve Snyder says:

2011 F150 Supercrew Cab same issue turned on rear defrost yesterday, about five minutes later at stop light I heard the passenger side glass cracking on the rear window. seems to be more of a pattern with the passenger side?

91. Bill Turville says:

Just happened to me… 2010 F150 Lariat 45K miles, temps about 44 and after defroster being on for 5 minutes heard loud bang…thought it was a rock from and over pass on I-395 in Alexandria VA….right rear slider stationary window completely shattered. Stopped at Ourisman Ford in Alexandria and they said they do not install new glass and would not fix….their parts counter quoted me a price of $274 for the window…..SO what do I do now?

92. Arnold Cser says:

Today , same thing happened to me,in Anaheim, Ca, this morning around 8:40Am , as I was going slowly on a Road, I used the defroster to clear my back window, shortly heard a loud pupping sound, pulled over by a gas-station, after a while noticed my back window(only 1 section) shattered, but stayed intact.
    Called my dealership,(cited me $900) windows are not under warranty, called my insurance with this claim, it’s still in process.
    What happens after my window gets fixed? The defrost switch is not usable? This is certainly some kind of recall. Never happened to me before and I always owned Ford F150’s in my life.

93. Steve M. says:

Same thing happened to me…in New England. Turned on my rear defrost in my 2010 F-150… temp outside was 40 degrees.. Driving down the road and out of nowhere it sounded like something exploded very loudly..I turned to see what it was and ran my truck in a small ditch off the road, thank God I was not traveling any faster.
    The passenger side shattered on mine.
    Ford has to do the right thing…. this is a serious issue and not cheap to fix

94. Steve D from WI says:

2012 f150. Turned on defrost, 15 minutes later a pop. Rear passenger window spidered. I should have taped it. When I got out and closed the door with the windows up, it popped out chunks of it into the box. Sounds like 500 bucks should fix it at Novus, guess what my insurance deductible is?

95. Shannon says:

2010 F-150 Supercrew cab, loud bang driving down highway after work on 24 hour shift, defrost on, thought something hit my truck, few hours later found the sliding rear glass window shattered behind the driver. Exactly like this article described.

96. Carolyn Flesher says:

2011 F-150 Lariat Supercrew Cab – Husband just came home from working the night shift. Reports that he had been in the truck with the back defrost on for about 5 minutes. He heard a loud popping noise, looked back and the passenger side rear window was spider webbed. He stopped the truck immediately, got out and inspected it, there is absolutely no mark of any object hitting the window. What’s going on here? Come on Ford Motor Co. get on the stick and recall this dangerous defect.

97. SF Chesterton Indiana says:

2013 F150 Platinum w/ slider and defroster: Just happened to me, used auto-start, temps in the 40s, got into the truck and saw driver’s side pane 100% shattered! Was planning a road trip to Florida with the wife and kid right after hosting Christmas at our house, but can’t get this fixed on Christmas Eve. Got an estimate from a local repair shop for $876.00! And, I am reading that it has happened more than once on the replacement windows! Headed to the local Ford Dealership now to see what they have to say, I will be updating on the outcome. I am sooo Pissed, to say the least!!! Merry Christmas 🙁

• C Scott Farrell says:

SF, it’s not the glass it’s the defrost unit / electrical system that needs to be addressed. This happened to me twice already. Call the NHTSA at 1-888-327-4236 and officially log a complaint. I just did this morning and they won’t even investigate unless they receive multiple complaints. Let’s get this addressed!

98. Michael says:

2012 f-150 Raptor. Driving down i-95 in SC, heard a loud pop and the rear driver side window had shattered all over my dog which was in the back. I thought someone took a shot at me or maybe something had fallen off a bridge but after reading all these, very obvious issue. Ford should get off their ass and fix these windows which are peanuts compared to the eventual class-action they will face, not to mention the probable death of someone due to going off the road after that loud sudden noise.

• C Scott Farrell says:

I’m just glad my kids weren’t in the back seat either of the TWO times this occurred with my 2010 F150 FX4. Call the NHTSA at 1-888-327-4236 and officially log a complaint. I just did this morning and they won’t even investigate unless they receive multiple complaints. Let’s get this addressed!

99. chad mccance says:

2014 lariat. remote start. I have never used the rear defrost on the truck. remote started this morning 16 degrees. spiderweb cracks in the rear window. calling dealership tomorrow

• C Scott Farrell says:

Next step…Call the NHTSA at 1-888-327-4236 and officially log a complaint. I just did this morning and they won’t even investigate unless they receive multiple complaints. Let’s get this addressed!

100. Mike Norris says:

Add me to the list. 2011 F150 Latiat turned on no light so assumed it had gone out. Driving 65 down interstate hear a gunshot. Finally figure out rear passenger window has spider web.

• C Scott Farrell says:

Mike, call the NHTSA at 1-888-327-4236 and officially log a complaint. I just did this morning and they won’t even investigate unless they receive multiple complaints. Let’s get this addressed!

101. Rob Riessle says:

My drivers side rear window just blew out 2 days ago. I contacted Ford and was told unless there was a defect, the window was not covered by warranty. I also contacted my insurance company who informed me that the cost would be 550.00 to fix the window and my deductible was 500.00. So it looks like i’m going to have to fix it myself. I’ve owned many Ford trucks and honestly I’ve never had good luck with there warranty system. Thanks Ford!

102. Megan Wagner says:

Happened to me today 2001 F150. Rear defrost button finally worked, heard a loud bang (thought that someone had hit the truck with baseball), screamed and swerved onto the shoulder. Got out of my vehicle and noticed that my drivers side window had completely shattered and the only thing holding it together was the tint tape. Contacted my dealer because we bought the extended warranty only to be told that it isn’t covered. My deductible is $500. I’m contacting FoMoCo and complaining. Can we take this to social media?

103. Barb Winslow says:

2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee, bought used 3 months ago less than 1000 miles, snow and ice yesterday so I started it and was going to get everything cleaned off defrost going on rear and front ….I was about 300 feet away shoveling snow and my back window blew out…glass went 6-8 feet and had to be hot glass for it melted into the snow… Dark tinted glass was different colors (thinking heated glass)…..I bought the extended warranty but don’t think this s going to be covered…. Defrost light was still on which should have shut off after 10 mins..

104. Eric Bradley says:

2014 XLT with 15,000 miles, sitting in my driveway, temp. about 30 degrees. Turned on rear window defroster, heard a loud pop and drivers side rear window with middle slider spider webbed. Calling dealership today. Doesn’t sound like Ford is going to fix this issue. If Ford doesn’t cover this I will be filing a complaint.

• C Scott Farrell says:

I hope you called the NHTSA at 1-888-327-4236 and officially logged a complaint. I just did this morning and they won’t even investigate unless they receive multiple complaints. Let’s get this addressed!

105. Mary Ryan says:

2013 Ford F150 FX4. Truck is the garage all night, I open the garage door then use the remote starter for warm up. 10-15 minutes later, I turned on the rear defogger and the light did not come on, thought maybe a fuse blew. I looked in my rear view mirror as I was backing out and the drivers side section of the rear window was shattered like a spider web. 35,000 miles and am waiting to hear back from the dealer. I completely expect Ford and/or the Dealer to take care of this.

• C Scott Farrell says:

Please, Mary, call the NHTSA at 1-888-327-4236 and officially log a complaint. I just did this morning and they won’t even investigate unless they receive multiple complaints. Let’s get this addressed! Happened to me yesterday for the second time in less than 4 years. Basically, DO NOT USE THE REAR DEFROST! Ford has to correct this first.

106. Jeff Whelan says:

Well you can add me to the list too. 2011 F-150 Lariat w/ the rear power sliding window. 55,000 miles & (of course) out of warranty. Wife texts me this afternoon & says right rear window is shattered. Of course she has no idea when it happened, so I can’t even say if it was this morning or this afternoon or even yesterday. I’m hoping that insurance will cover the repair, but in reality Ford should be the one taking care of this.

Question: if it’s only the right side glass, can’t I just get that section replaced? Sounds like everyone has been replacing the whole window unit – why??

If Ford doesn’t step up and take care of this, this will definitely be my first – and last – Ford pickup. How many complaints does Ford need to get on the ball? COME ON, FORD!!!

• C Scott Farrell says:

Nope, whole window replacement. Then pray you don’t have the water leakage issues I encountered afterwards. Twice in less than 4 years I’ve encountered this – just yesterday was the second instance. It’s the defrost unit, NOT the glass that’s the problem. This needs to be fixed but it won’t happen via a recall unless you…

107. Ross May says:

I remote started my 20133 F150 FX4 that I purchased new in 2013 and heard from with in my house a loud bang or pop and went out side to see what it was. I couldn’t find an issue until I later got into my truck and saw that my rear drivers side window was shattered. The defrost kicks in automatically when you remote start the vehicle per the setting. I contacted FoMoCo on 1/13/16 and they told me there was no known issue and it would not be covered but that they would start a case. This is not a fun situation.

• C Scott Farrell says:

Please…Call the NHTSA at 1-888-327-4236 and officially log a complaint. I just did this morning and they won’t even investigate unless they receive multiple complaints. Let’s get this addressed!

108. jay says:

2011 F150 XLT- Added Factory Remote Start in 2011 at dealership.
    Pull the rear defrost relay to avoid a 2nd broken glass repeat until Ford fixes this common issue (Go without a rear defroster). I had the loud bang & dash LED light not coming on (defroster button) but somehow glass stayed intact (no similar issues I can find online without glass breaking). Pulled the relay a year ago and scrape ice when I have to- off of mirrors as well. Has anyone been able to install the new 2015 and up frameless power slider that the manufacturer (Ford supplier) claims fits in the same size opening? Can not find info online- stealership says no conversions done yet.

• C Scott Farrell says:

Jay, in the meantime, if you haven’t already…Call the NHTSA at 1-888-327-4236 and officially log a complaint. I just did this morning and they won’t even investigate unless they receive multiple complaints. Let’s get this addressed!

109. Greg says:

Walked out this morning spiderweb passenger side rear sliding glass window 2012 Ford F-150 dealer will not cover. With all these instances any consumer organization anyone knows to complain to?

• C Scott Farrell says:

Call the NHTSA at 1-888-327-4236 and officially log a complaint. I just did this morning and they won’t even investigate unless they receive multiple complaints. Let’s get this addressed! This happened to me yesterday (3/21/2016) – the second time in less than 4 years!!!!

110. Jerry Mulligan says:

• Jerry Mulligan says:

Update: I was 500 miles over on my warranty miles but still have 2 months on time. Dealer would not make it right but is contacting FoMoCo to see if they will honor warranty. Again, not holding my breath!
      Did report it to the NHTSA as a safety issue. I encourage all to do the same. It may make a difference for someone in the future.

• Jerry Mulligan says:

I used Safecar.gov to make my report.

• C Scott Farrell says:

Thanks Jerry. I just called the NHTSA at 1-888-327-4236 and officially logged a complaint. I called this morning and they won’t investigate unless they receive multiple complaints. Let’s get this addressed!

111. Ron says:

Anyone attempt a class action? I tried a couple of National firms, but they were very busy. If we can get a number of people with affected vehicles, this may help.

• C Scott Farrell says:

Let me know. Until then you have to call the NHTSA at 1-888-327-4236 and officially log a complaint. I just did this morning and they won’t even investigate unless they receive multiple complaints. Let’s get this addressed!

112. Ruth Pippin says:

On January 16, 2016 we were in our 2010 Ford F150 driving, the temperature outside was about 60 to maybe 55 degrees but the glasses were fogged a little so I turned on the defrosters. We heard a loud bang, as I was looking around I saw the passenger side of the back window shattered.

• C Scott Farrell says:

Happened to me twice in less than 4 years. You need to call the NHTSA at 1-888-327-4236 and officially log a complaint. I just did this morning and they won’t even investigate unless they receive multiple complaints. Let’s get this addressed!

113. Mark says:

I just had this happen to me on my 2011 F150 last Saturday. Same scenario as everyone else. Windows were frosted and turned on rear defroster while warming the truck up. Noticed while driving that the rear windows never defrosted and the light on the rear defrost button would no longer light up. After the windows thawed from the cab heat, I noticed that the passenger side of the three piece window was shattered and only held together by the window tint.

• C Scott Farrell says:

My 2010 FX4, same thing, second time in less than 4 years. Call the NHTSA at 1-888-327-4236 and officially log a complaint. I just did this morning and they won’t even investigate unless they receive multiple complaints. Let’s get this addressed!

114. Michael Dimick says:

Add another to the list from south Texas. 2012 F150 XLT. Rear defroster on, 40 degrees out driving on the highway. Sounded like a golf ball hit the roof. Left rear glass shattered.

• C Scott Farrell says:

Michael, happened to me on Long Island for the second time just yesterday. Call the NHTSA at 1-888-327-4236 and officially log a complaint. I just did this morning and they won’t even investigate unless they receive multiple complaints. Let’s get this addressed!

115. Donald Linthicum says:

Add my 2011 to the list. Turned rear defroster on, light flickered then turned off, 3 minutes later while driving down the road, BOOM! What the #%#$!!!!!! Yep, driver side rear shattered.

• C Scott Farrell says:

Please, please, please…Call the NHTSA at 1-888-327-4236 and officially log a complaint. I just did this morning and they won’t even investigate unless they receive multiple complaints. Let’s get this addressed!

116. Terrance Howard says:

Add my buddies 2013 F150 to the list. He turned on the rear window defrost after leaving a superbowl party, temps in the low 30’s. Loud bang, glass shattering noise, problem is we didn’t notice the window was spider webbed until this AM. After calling security gaurds at the parking deck of teh superbowl party & beginning to file a police report, we I stumbled on this Forum. Is there any word on Ford paying for this repair or issuing a recall?

• C Scott Farrell says:

No, you have to call the NHTSA at 1-888-327-4236 and officially log a complaint. I just did this morning and they won’t even investigate unless they receive multiple complaints. Let’s get this addressed! Tell everyone to please do the same.

117. Samuel Snyder says:

Add my 2012 FX4 to the list. Temperature in the mid thirty’s. Remote started. Passenger side of the three panel power with defrost rear window shattered. I guess defrost comes on with remote start. Insurance deducible is $750.00 which is equal to the replacement cost at Safelite. Come on FOMOCO. Give us a break and fix your problem. Definitely will report this to NTSB. Thought Ford was better than the competition.

• C Scott Farrell says:

Samuel, I hope you reported because I just did as I had the same thing happen yesterday – for the second time!

118. Charley says:

I have a 2010 Ford F-150 FX4. Today i accidentally hit the rear window defroster. 10 minutes later while sitting at the light my rear window exploded. After reading all the comments this is unacceptable by FORD. I called the corporate office and made a complaint. They did issue me a case number and to contact the dealership. I talked to the dealership and they said they are working with Ford corporate office to replace the window.

• C Scott Farrell says:

Same exact thing here – same model and year. Call the NHTSA at 1-888-327-4236 and officially log a complaint. I just did this morning and they won’t even investigate unless they receive multiple complaints. Let’s get this addressed!

119. Matt says:

2014 F150 FX4, same deal, 20 degree weather, truck sitting still, turned on rear defroster, the light flickered then went out, few minutes later pop! drivers side rear pane shattered. Scary, if it shorted hot enough to pop the glass it certainly could start a fire. Not good FORD. Fix this!

120. Lee Shannon says:

121. Lee Shannon says:

2010 F150 XLT, 45,000 miles. Me too. Passenger side rear window panel. Not happy about having to make an insurance claim. This is my fifth Ford truck. I’m in the market for a new truck presently. Toyota is looking pretty good right now.

122. Ryan says:

Happened to me today. 28 degrees F. Going about 20mph. Heard loud bang. D/S rear window completely shattered. Called Ford dealer and they said it was a very common occurrence, that Fors should do the right thing an fix it, but Ford refuses to stand behind it. I own three late model Fords. Cost to repair was quoted at $1200.00. May be time to start looking at other makes.

123. Russell says:

Mine too damn it! Last night I noticed it and naturally thought somebody broke it! But no evidence or even glass pieces in the driveway. I think I heard a loud bang the other day but last night I actually heard the glass fragments falling out as I was driving!!!

2012 F150 Super Crew HD

124. Bobby says:

$600 to replace my 2013 F-150 Platinum rear drivers side window, due to the defroster spiderwebbing like everyone else. I have 56,000 mileson the truck, and a 72,000 mile warranty. Well thanks Ford….

125. earl says:

Ford has to do a recall on the known problem if they don’t we can all write a complaint to the BBB and the federal trade commission and the attorney general then just maybe they will do a recall and fix the problem im just about done with ford myself after i was done wrong when i bought another vehicle form the used lot and traded a vehicle in and they only gave me 1000.00 for it but less then a week later they put it on the lot for over 6700.00 but only gave me 1000. for it, wrong just wrong

126. C Scott Farrell says:

This happened to me on September 25, 2012 and again just yesterday on March 21, 2016. The first time they replaced the glass but, apparently, did nothing about the root of the issue which is the defrost unit. This is obviously an electrical issue as I first smelled smoke, then noticed blue smoke coming from the rear, right passenger window. I immediately shut off the defrost and then heard the POP! Shattered window. Same exact sequence of events both times. Waiting to hear from my dealership as to how they plan to address, since it wasn’t fixed correctly when my truck was still under it’s original warranty at only 12,000 miles. According to the Ford Customer Service rep I spoke with today they will not issue a recall unless they are informed by the NHTSA that there are multiple reported and confirmed issues. So – call the NHTSA at 1-888-327-4236 as I just did and report the problem. Please, Ford Motor Company needs to fix this issue. If my children were in the back seat at the time this occurred this could have been even more unpleasant.

Comments are closed.