Cadillac Hit with Lawsuit Regarding Leaking Sunroofs

Cadillac Automobile Company, a division of General Motors (GM), has been hit with a lawsuit alleging the company manufactured and/or designed 2010-2013 Cadillac SRX models with leaking sunroofs and has denied warranty coverage for certain year models.

Kelley Gaines filed a lawsuit against Cadillac for alleged defective sunroofs in certain SRX year models.

Plaintiff Kelley Gaines, a resident of California, claims the vehicles were manufactured or designed with defective sunroof seals or drains, allowing water to enter the passenger side of the vehicle. This, she claims, results in wet and moldy floors, damage to interior components and electric modules.

In February 2017, the plaintiff claims to have noticed that the floorboards of her 2010 SRX were soaked with water and was told by a dealer that the water had also saturated the padding between the firewall and instrument panel assembly. Gaines alleges the dealer informed her that the right front sunroof drain hose was loose and the right front sunroof was not seated in the grommet at the firewall.

Both parts were replaced at $442.48, an additional $513 for removal and $50 for cleaning the carpets. The plaintiff’s insurance covered the majority of the costs, but she had to pay the $250 deductible.

According to the court document, the manufacturer allegedly denied warranty coverage for replacement parts and repairs for models older than 2014, despite issuing a notice of a water leak as early as August 2013.

The lawsuit states, “In or about August 30, 2013, within the initial Bumper-to-Bumper Limited Warranty period of the Class Vehicles, Defendant issued General Motors Document … ‘Water Leak at Driver/ Front Passenger Floor Area and/ or Front Carpet Wet.’”

According to that GM-issued document, “GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a ‘do-it-yourselfer.’ Defendant therefore intended that Class Vehicles with the Leaking Sunroof defect are not to be repaired and/ or replaced by anyone other than a professional technician.”

GM’s notice says the condition or concern is that “Some customers may comment on seeing a water leak in the driver or front passenger floor area and/ or finding the front carpet wet.” The company outlined each possibility:  a void in the cowl seam sealer; the sunroof front drain hose grommet(s) may not be connected or fully sealed in the cowl panel or at the sunroof frame spigot; the sunroof front drain hoses are misrouted or are too short and display a higher level of tension.

Currently, this class-action lawsuit only includes owners in California, but Gaines claims more than 222,000 of the affected SUVs were manufactured.

This entry was posted in glassBYTEs Headlines, glassBYTEs Original Story. Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Cadillac Hit with Lawsuit Regarding Leaking Sunroofs

1. Sam says:

They should have had better quality inspections at the factory regarding all auto glass.

• April says:

I have a CTS 2006 and have the same problem with leaking. The water will drain down and get caught underneath the floor and shorts out the electrical system. I didn’t know what the problem was until I googled it. If you pursue a class action let me know. Aprilldybg@gmail.com. the car still runs fairly well. It only has about 60,000 miles on it. The only problems I have are all related to the leack. Thank you for your info.

2. Jill Hilty says:

I have this issue w/my 2008 CTS. Only has 53,000 mi because I can’t drive it if chance of rain and can’t re-sale because of the leak. I’m contacting legal counsel for class action lawsuit. I see many,many people with the same problem. No reason to have this issue with a Cadillac!!

• D Purks says:

While under warranty I had a major flood on the passenger side of my 2008 CTS which the dealership fixed. Now it’s happening again, but this time it’s on the driver side. Need to check my sunroof drains, but I’m not at all sure that’s where the water is coming from. I taped the sunroof and it rained night before last and there’s standing water under my carpet again. So frustrated with this car….nothing but headaches since I bought it. NEVER again. If you do start a class action suit, please let me know: d p u r k s @ c o g e n t c o . c om.

• Margi Travis says:

Hi, I am one of those 2008 CTS owners, such as yourself who is experiencing the leaking sunroof issue. The water was in the driver and passenger floorboards the few times. We had the drain lines blown out multiple times, had the carpet removed as well as the headliner and had them steamed cleaned. Noticed today that there was interior condensation AGAIN today. This time there is water in the rear passenger floorboard. I am beyond hacked off at this.

Did you by chance get any kind of direction from your attorney on this? I would be glad to join this class action. It is an OBVIOUS manufacturer defect.

3. Radford Norris says:

My 2011 Cadillac SRX has a water linking on passenger side floor of car

4. Claudia Ashmore says:

My 2012 cadillac SRX just went to the dealership for the wet carpet on the passenger side. We will see how much this is at $100 per hour. This is totally wrong. I should have gotten a recall notice if they knew there was a problem.

5. mary says:

I have 2004 srx I’m the only owner and have had issue with roof and leakage to floor, baking soda has alleviated smell but hopefully the manufacturer will do better job with sunroofs and any other leaks in future.

6. Ariel Oaks says:

Just purchased a second hand 2010 SRX and I am having this issue now…… I’m in Texas. I don’t see Texas listed anywhere. Huge bummer, hopefully the warranty I purchased with the car will cover the repairs.

7. Vaunda Warnasch says:

I live in Tyler TX and have problems with my sunroof leaking. It caused the rear gate operating mechanism to burn out after allowing 6″ of water into the compartment under the spare tire. I paid $1500.00 to have it replaced. Now it has done the same thing again, only this time not only has it damage the gate operating mechanism but has allowed water inside the front and rear floor boards and there is evidence of mold on the sunroof.

• BRIDGETTE WASHINGTON says:

This exactly what is happening to me..yesterday my dealer said estimate is starting at $1900..I contacted GMC and they said no help contact your Customer Experience person.

8. Nothappy RhodeIsland says:

Cadillac SRX 2010. 3rd time for me and not happy. First time was the rear drains and they said it was part a recall. This time it’s the front drains and I was told they forgot to clean them when I was last in for service? I didn’t even know they did that. (guess now I know why!) It’s the winter here so this issue resulted in me having to ice scrape the inside of my windows before I could use the vehicle, or let it defrost and drip on my head and all over. Didn’t seem right I had to pay for something that had been built defectively. It cost me $500 this time. Now, seems it was never fixed, so just a few days later, it all happened again. I am so glad to see all your posts. I will let you know if no satisfaction, I will take it further. I am very disappointed. I bought the car because of the historic “high class” brand reputation. They are definitely not showing any class in their actions here, but could be a class action.

9. Stephen Mills says:

I also have a 2012 SRX and I am experiencing the same issues. I could not figure out the issue until I did a search and came across this site. I was confused about the problem because it doesn’t seem to happen when I wash the car only when w have a down pour of rain.

10. Beverly says:

My 2015 Cadillac Escalade is leaking from above when it rains. The overhead liner is soaked on the drivers side from the sun visor back beyond the second row passengers seat. This is obsurd and highly concerning. I’m reading a lot of forums about leaks in these GM vehicles. What’s being done about this shoty design? I feel stuck with a product that is no good. Help!! Any suggestions or class action lawsuits happening? What about consumer protection laws? Thanks. Beverly 845 499 0607

11. Catina says:

My sunroof has a hole my Cadillac has a dent on top and window being scratched, the iron is bent upwards on top of the roof . Its a 2009 Srx Cadillac.What is Estimate.

12. Catina says:

13. Doris says:

My XT 5 , 2019 has had 3 major leaks, including the sunroof & screen opening during a torrential rain. Now Cadillac is saying debris (leaves) is collecting in the window wells?
    Am I responsible for blowing leaves??