Chrysler Lawsuit Regarding Leaking Sunroofs Seeks Class Action Status

The lawsuit against Chrysler for leaking sunroofs is still trying to reach class-action status. The lawsuit, which was first filed in 2014, alleges the manufacturer was negligent in disclosing to owners that regular maintenance is needed on affected vehicles’ sunroof drain tubes.

The vehicles named in the lawsuit include the Jeep Patriot, Jeep Liberty, Jeep Compass, Jeep Commander, Jeep Cherokee, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Chrysler Town and Country and Chrysler 300, from model years 2009 to present.

The lawsuit was brought forth by David Cox, owner of a 2010 Jeep Patriot. He claims his vehicle’s sunroof began leaking after owning the vehicle for the less than a year, and, as a result, has sustained interior damage that lessen the vehicle’s resale value.

“Within one year of purchase and when the vehicle had approximately 10,000 miles on it, plaintiff Cox’s vehicle began leaking from the sunroof damaging the radio in the vehicle,” the court document states. “Plaintiff Cox brought his vehicle in to the Chrysler dealer’s service department to service the sunroof leak immediately. The Chrysler dealer replaced the radio and cleaned out the sunroof drain tubes. However, the sunroof has leaked several times since the first attempted repair, once again damaging the radio display and causing electrical malfunctions in the sunroof. Thus, on June 26, 2013, plaintiff Cox brought the vehicle in to the Chrysler service department again to service the sunroof leak. However, Chrysler refused to repair the sunroof leak under the warranty stating that clogged drain tubes is a maintenance problem. As a result, plaintiff Cox continues to observe water leaking into and through the sunroof and interior dome light that has resulted in electrical problems, a noticeable musty or moldy smell and water damage to the interior of his vehicle.”

Cox claims he was never told by Chrysler that the vehicle’s sunroof drain tubes would need routine maintenance.

The lawsuit also alleges that Chrysler told a number of owners that the leaking sunroofs were a result of the vehicles being misused. It goes on to claim that even vehicles that were still under warranty were denied repairs by dealers, who claimed the damage was due to the owners not taking the proper steps in maintaining the sunroof drain tubes.

Claims in the lawsuit regarding warranty and fraud have been dismissed by the judge, but claims of violating implied warranty and consumer protection laws are continuing. According to the judge, the plaintiffs have not had sufficient time to “engage in merits-based discovery” against Chrysler.

This article is from glassBYTEs™, the free e-newsletter that covers the latest auto glass industry news. Click HERE to sign up—there is no charge. Interested in a deeper dive? Free subscriptions to Auto Glass Repair and Replacement (AGRR) magazine in print or digital format are available. Subscribe at no charge HERE.

This entry was posted in glassBYTEs Headlines, glassBYTEs Original Story and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Chrysler Lawsuit Regarding Leaking Sunroofs Seeks Class Action Status

1. Rose says:

My daughter’s family car is a MESS! When we go through the car wash we get soaked. The headliner is waterstained and disgusting looking.
    Her console papers and glove box get flooded. Feet get wet, rug on floor board.
    This happens every time it rains.
    It’s heartbreaking to see a young couple work so hard to have a nice family vehicle just to have it look worse than a work truck.
    Step up and fix this Chrysler.

2. Peggy Rodriguez says:

I just purchased a 2007 Jeep Liberty for my teenage son. Had it parked in the driveway, after a rainy night, we opened the door to a mess. The passenger front seat, front floor board, and back floor board were soaked..
    This is disheartening, if anyone can give me information on how to be included in this law suit I would appreciate it..
    Thanks!

• BRIDGET ATWELL says:

I have a 2007 Liberty too and I’ve fixed it twice and it still leaks. When I brought it to my body shop the guy told me he had two other Jeeps in for the same thing. Wish this lawsuit went for 2007 too.

3. Joel Terragnoli (LTC-Retired) NYARNG says:

I helped my son buy a 2008 Jeep Liberty in 2014 as a student at the US Air Force Academy. We have had the tubes blown clear, the rubber gasket around the sunroof replaced and the Jeep is still leaking, and the floors still get wet when it rains. We would like to get this fixed. would never have bought it if we knew the sunroof leaked.

4. Darrell jordan says:

My 2018 compass sun roof been leaking for 6 months. I took it in to a jeep dealer they charged me 132.00 an said the drains are clogged not our problem. Now I just want to get rid of it and tell jeep where to stick it.

5. scott says:

I have a 2013 patriot and it’s a piece of crap. Leaking sunroof and all.

6. William Moore says:

2012 Patriot nothing but problems. Bought as a CERTIFIED “pre-owned”. First month returned to the dealer cause of radical shaking of the front end, frequent engine surging or deceleration and leaking sun-roof. Findings included 2 broken motor mounts, a throttle body issue and clogged sun-roof drain tubes. The radio and carpets had to be replaced and electronics intermittently are disrupted and don’t work. The car continues to stall and has resulted in a MVA. Recently I have sent it out to a local mechanic cause the JEEP dealership hasn’t been able to stop or fix the issues. DISAPPOINTED

7. Davies DiBuono says:

I have a 2010 that is RUINED and worth nothing because of the sunroof leaking and it doesn’t close all the way. Cannot trade it or sell it and still owe on it as I bought it used in 2016 not knowing any of these issues. Is there any way to join the class action suit still?!

8. Ian Tay Landry says:

2017 Chrysler 300 Platinum. Sunroof leaking from the right rear. Dealer said they cleared the drain but still leaks inside through the screws for the roof handles.

• Steven says:

There’s a seam that’s riveted together at rear of panoramic roof( both sides) just past the lights and before the drain holes, that’s where the water coming in at and leaking down the rear dome lights

• S Coleman says:

I am having the exact same issue and the dealer states it’s not covered under the warranty.

9. Frank Burla says:

I have a Chrysler 300 (purchased new), 2017, with 9,000 + miles.
    I encountered a leak with water damage in the car.
    I took it to the dealer and was told that it was a boby seam issue.
    I purchased a 5 year warrenty when I bought the car.
    Now, I am being told that my 3 year warrenty has passed and the extended warrenty may not cover the issue.
    Chrysler is trying to help me get this repaired without cost to me.
    I am suppose to get more info tomorrow, after they call Chrysler Corporation.

• Schenice Coleman says:

Where they able to resolve the issue?

• Schenice Coleman says:

I am having the exact same issue and the dealer states the repair isn’t covered under the warranty. They can order the parts for me however they can’t do the repair.

10. Constance Likourgos says:

I want to join in this lawsuit as well.I have a 2014 Town&Country that leaks every time it rains hard, smh….. I bought this van in 2015. Well, in 2019 it starts leaking I thought I might’ve left it open, but no it was closed, since then it’s been leaking… This has been a frustrating experience I do believe if enough of us speak maybe the manufacturer will be liable.

11. Jonathan Baldwin says:

I have a 2018 Chrysler 300s. I recently had problems with my panoramic sunroof after a hard rain passing in my state. Overnight rainstorms causes leaks in the right rear of the vehicle from the sunroof. Sometimes I can hear the water shifting in the roof. I brought it to the dealer and they told it wasn’t covered under the warranty but this ongoing issues is constantly making me treat my leather seats more than I usually do.

12. N. Futrell says:

I would like to join lawsuit. My 300 is currently at dealer (again) to be repaired.

13. Jack Green says:

Haven’t seen a sunroof by any manufacturer that doesn’t leak sooner or later. Usually caused by leaves and other debris from parking exposed to weather continually. They all need maintenance eventually.
    Sunroofs are just a PITA that can be omitted.

14. Laura says:

I have a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with the EXACT same problem! Is it best to take it to a dealer or private service station? Is there any possible way to join the class action? I sunk over 2k in repairs since April. The interior is getting destroyed. Thanks for any advice you can offer.

15. Dario Rizzitello says:

need to join lawsuit 2014 jeep compass completely soaked every time it rains jeep told me to shove it and charged 1000 dollars in repairs

16. Kimberly Smith says:

Would like to join .. this is my second Chrysler 300 and again leak inside right rear passenger side. Both vehicles purchased new…