BMW Hit with Lawsuit Over Alleged Shattering Sunroofs

A lawsuit has been filed against BMW alleging several of the company’s makes and models were designed with defective panoramic sunroofs and moonroofs that are prone to shattering. The lawsuit has been filed in the District of New Jersey and is seeking class-action status on behalf of U.S. consumers who purchased, own, owned, lease or leased a BMW vehicle manufactured with a sunroof or moonroof.

The vehicles listed in the lawsuit include the following:

• 2005-2013 BMW 3 series
  • 2004-2018 BMW X5s
  • 2005-2018 X3s
  • 2009-2018 BMW X1s
  • 2008-2018 MINI Clubmans
  • 2006-2008 MINI Coopers
  • 2011-2018 MINI Countrymans
  • 2009-2018 MINI Hardtops
  • 2013-2016 MINI Pacemans

The lawsuit claims the glass is defective due to its design, the way it was manufactured, the materials used and/or workmanship. It also alleges the manufacturer knew of the supposed defect and failed to disclose the information to owners and lessees.

In 2004, the company began including panoramic sunroofs as an upgrade in certain vehicles, the lawsuit claims. In addition, the non-panoramic sunroofs of the BMW 3 series are also named in the lawsuit, claiming they, too, are prone to shattering unexpectedly.

The lawsuit was filed by the law firm of Kessler Topaz Meltzer & Check, LLP.

This article is from glassBYTEs™, the free e-newsletter that covers the latest auto glass industry news. Click HERE to sign up—there is no charge. Interested in a deeper dive? Free subscriptions to Auto Glass Repair and Replacement (AGRR) magazine in print or digital format are available. Subscribe at no charge HERE.

This entry was posted in glassBYTEs Original Story and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to BMW Hit with Lawsuit Over Alleged Shattering Sunroofs

1. Fran Lunati says:

Owner of BMW320ix. On Tuesday April 3, 2018 my sunroof glass exploded for no apparent reason. After contacting Competition BMW in St. James NY I was told to call my insurance company because they are not at fault. They claim they never heard of any other reports of this happening. Where do I go rom here?

• Brian says:

That happened with our 2012 X5 just recently.. This happened also right after we just spent $4800 in repairs for a $130 dollar failed internal part.. During the repairs, they supposedly inspected the vehicle for other potential problems and they never mentioned anything about a panoramic moonroof problem.. Shame on them!

2. Dana Schmieding says:

While driving down the highway last week, June 6th in Iowa, the sunroof in my 2011 328xi exploded. Fortunately, I had the interior shade pulled and I was able to avoid a shower of glass and probable car accident. BMW of Des claims no fault, and advised I talk to my insurance. I was quoted $800 for the “specialty” glass and an additional $1300-1800 for the labor to install.

3. Keisha says:

July 19th 2018 while driving on the highway to work In Michigan my sunroof exploded on my 2015 BMW 535i! scared the living day lights out of me, I thought someone was shooting at me that’s how loud it was. I was able to pull over to the side and call police

• Jamal Howard says:

This just happened to my 2015 BMW 535I I would like to know how this is being handled if this is a recall.

• Michael Wisniewski says:

What do we do about this?? I feel like I’m in the twilight zone. This just happened to me in my 2017 535i on May 9, 2021. “Sorry sir, nothing we can do, contact your insurance company”, really….. ugh, so disappointed in BMW, first and probably last one I will every buy…

4. Kathy Fields says:

I was sitting in the parking lot of the Nashville West shopping center. I heard a loud pop on the top of my car. When I got out to look the glass of the sun/moon roof was shattered. My vehicle is a 2020 X2.

5. Jeremy Boerner says:

While driving in the rain my 2019 BMW X3 panoramic roof exploded. Glass everywhere.
    Taking it to the dealer to see how they handle it.

6. Wei says:

On Mar 21, While driving my 2019 x3 on a highway NJ and on a clear day, with no 18-wheelers or trucks passing by, not under a bridge or so, I heard a loud explosion and the sunroof shattered. Just took the car to a dealer nearby and tomorrow a bmw engineer will come and inspect

7. Wayne Randall says:

I had this happen today on my one month old 2021 BMW X6M Competition when driving on the interstate. The sunroof was bowed from the inside outwards not the other way around. Almost wrecked and took it straight to the dealership. Crossing my fingers I am not about to be in a battle over a sunroof replacement

8. April Garner says:

How do we join into the lawsuit, happen yesterday to my 2018 BMW X5 And despite buying the extended warranty BMW is saying that they will not cover this.
    BMW of Nashville Brentwood location

9. April Garner says:

Really disappointed with BMW of Nashville, Brentwood location. My rear sunroof exploded yesterday afternoon and when I took it in and they said that there was no visible reason, a.k.a. like a rock hit it, and because it’s a 2018 should be covered under original warranty , and we bought the extended warranty when we bought it last February (just in case) they still said nothing they can do…. But they made sure to let me know that I also need a new tires. I guess after reading everybody else’s comment at least I can say that they’re consistent.

10. Carl Cambilargiu says:

I think somebody should be aware there is a problem with BMWs sunroof.
    On September 18 I was driving my 2020 X5M car to Los Angeles from Seattle. I opened the driver side window and my sunroof blew out. I brought my car to Long Beach BMW where I purchased it to be repaired.
    The service rep from Bmw USA denied the warranty claim said it must have been pitted. My car only has 19,000 miles and not a mark on it. No chips or dings at all.
    I have been driving BMWs since 1989 total in more than 16 cars from BMW.

As you can see from the photo the sunroof was closed with the sun cover and the glass is blown outward.
    This is not what I expect from $100,000 car.
    Regards