BMW Hit with Lawsuit Over Alleged Shattering Sunroofs

A lawsuit has been filed against BMW alleging several of the company’s makes and models were designed with defective panoramic sunroofs and moonroofs that are prone to shattering. The lawsuit has been filed in the District of New Jersey and is seeking class-action status on behalf of U.S. consumers who purchased, own, owned, lease or leased a BMW vehicle manufactured with a sunroof or moonroof.

The vehicles listed in the lawsuit include the following:

• 2005-2013 BMW 3 series
  • 2004-2018 BMW X5s
  • 2005-2018 X3s
  • 2009-2018 BMW X1s
  • 2008-2018 MINI Clubmans
  • 2006-2008 MINI Coopers
  • 2011-2018 MINI Countrymans
  • 2009-2018 MINI Hardtops
  • 2013-2016 MINI Pacemans

The lawsuit claims the glass is defective due to its design, the way it was manufactured, the materials used and/or workmanship. It also alleges the manufacturer knew of the supposed defect and failed to disclose the information to owners and lessees.

In 2004, the company began including panoramic sunroofs as an upgrade in certain vehicles, the lawsuit claims. In addition, the non-panoramic sunroofs of the BMW 3 series are also named in the lawsuit, claiming they, too, are prone to shattering unexpectedly.

The lawsuit was filed by the law firm of Kessler Topaz Meltzer & Check, LLP.

This entry was posted in glassBYTEs Original Story and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to BMW Hit with Lawsuit Over Alleged Shattering Sunroofs

1. Fran Lunati says:

Owner of BMW320ix. On Tuesday April 3, 2018 my sunroof glass exploded for no apparent reason. After contacting Competition BMW in St. James NY I was told to call my insurance company because they are not at fault. They claim they never heard of any other reports of this happening. Where do I go rom here?

• Brian says:

That happened with our 2012 X5 just recently.. This happened also right after we just spent $4800 in repairs for a $130 dollar failed internal part.. During the repairs, they supposedly inspected the vehicle for other potential problems and they never mentioned anything about a panoramic moonroof problem.. Shame on them!

2. Dana Schmieding says:

While driving down the highway last week, June 6th in Iowa, the sunroof in my 2011 328xi exploded. Fortunately, I had the interior shade pulled and I was able to avoid a shower of glass and probable car accident. BMW of Des claims no fault, and advised I talk to my insurance. I was quoted $800 for the “specialty” glass and an additional $1300-1800 for the labor to install.

3. Keisha says:

July 19th 2018 while driving on the highway to work In Michigan my sunroof exploded on my 2015 BMW 535i! scared the living day lights out of me, I thought someone was shooting at me that’s how loud it was. I was able to pull over to the side and call police

4. Kathy Fields says:

I was sitting in the parking lot of the Nashville West shopping center. I heard a loud pop on the top of my car. When I got out to look the glass of the sun/moon roof was shattered. My vehicle is a 2020 X2.

5. Jeremy Boerner says:

While driving in the rain my 2019 BMW X3 panoramic roof exploded. Glass everywhere.
    Taking it to the dealer to see how they handle it.