GM Class Action Lawsuit Gets Pulled From the Courtroom

Jason Truesdell turned the lights off on his class action lawsuit against General Motors LLC (GM) by volunteering to dismiss it. Truesdell filed a complaint against the auto manufacturer alleging a defect in certain 2010-2015 Cadillac SRX vehicle headlights.

The voluntary dismissal officially ends the class action lawsuit. Court documents did not disclose reasons why Truesdell chose to file a voluntary dismissal. Truesdell claimed GM was aware of its alleged headlight defect in, what court documents referred to as, the class vehicles. According to the complaint, the vehicle manufacturer’s headlights would unexpectedly and prematurely wear-out and fail as a result of a sealing issue.

“As a result of the defect the headlights emit little to no light, such that the class vehicles cannot safely be driven at night or in other conditions that require the use of the headlights,” a portion of the complaint reads.

Truesdell also highlighted a possible visibility issue as a result of the alleged defected headlights, which “can contribute to dangerous traffic conditions, including serious accidents.”

“GM has been aware of the headlight defect in the class vehicles since at least 2010, as shown by Technical Service Bulletins (TSB) that it issued and customer complaints regarding the headlight defect,” according to the complaint.

Currently this class action lawsuit has ended following the voluntary dismissal.

This article is from glassBYTEs™, the free e-newsletter that covers the latest auto glass industry news. Click HERE to sign up—there is no charge. Interested in a deeper dive? Free subscriptions to Auto Glass Repair and Replacement (AGRR) magazine in print or digital format are available. Subscribe at no charge HERE.

This entry was posted in glassBYTEs Original Story and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to GM Class Action Lawsuit Gets Pulled From the Courtroom

1. George Rudge says:

I also have the same condition in our Cadillac SRX 2016, When we took the car in for servicing GM told us the cost was over $400.00 and that they could not do anything for us because it was under litigation. The was September 23, 2020.
    I feel strongly this is a safety issue and a defect in the headlight. Not something that was do to our using the vehicle.

• Robin L Cooper says:

I have the exact same problem with mine…I think we need to reopen this class action law suit or start another one. I know this is well know problem that Cadillac is skirting. My dealership told me that it’s 1400.00+ to replace mine and aftermarket is 1200.00+
      I have almost wrecked three times driving at night because I simply cannot see.

2. Chris Ward says:

This is a huge safety issue…..I. too have this dim headlight problem. It led to a close call between my vehicle and a transport truck. I’m surprised that there are not more reports of accidents, deaths, or close calls as a result of this mistake made by GM in their products’ headlight construction. I am looking for a law office to take this on-before the injuries and or deaths are reported.

• Althea Barnes says:

Hi Chris I have the same problem took mines into the dealership to day $1800 to repair and was told the class action lawsuit ended last year . Really

3. Kimberly Greene says:

I had GM reimburse me for one headlamp. Tried to get the other one done and was told it expired July 2020. I couldn’t get there during COVID and now I have to incur the cost of 1600.00 for one headlamp again. I contacted GM to see if they will make an exception as both headlamps should have been done in 2018 but I could only afford the one that was not working. They will call me back within 2 business days. Will see what happens. Fingers crossed.

• Esther says:

Kimberly. Did you get any help from GM. I just took my car in and need new headlights due to this same issue.

4. Samantha Norman says:

So, let’s all file a new class action lawsuit. Why not? I honestly feel ripped off. This is by far the worst vehicle I’ve ever owned. I will never buy a gm product again and best be sure I will pass the word on about how terrible my experience has been with them.

5. James Jay says:

I have the same head lamp problem with my 2016 SRX and took it into the dealership this week. $1,850 to repair and I was told. They also told me there was a class action lawsuit last year re: the headlamps. I then called GM and relayed to them that I had not received any notice of the action. They asked for my VIN. Checking it, they told me my name was not matched with that VIN. What! They referred me to a local dealer (mine choice for the past 3 yrs in fact). The dealer has been using my cars VIN on all my invoices for 3 years. My dealer threw it back to GM saying they could only help me by me paying the apprx. $1,850. I called my GM contact and passed on what the dealer told me. I am waiting for their reply.
    I’m trying to find out why my dealer never mentioned the litigation to me in 2020 either in person or on my invoices?