Hyundai Owners Allege Windshields Spontaneously Break in Class Action Complaint

Lorenzo Ford and Tina Forehand (collectively the plaintiffs) recently filed a class action complaint against Hyundai Motor America (HMA) and Hyundai Motor Company (HMC), (collectively Hyundai or defendants) in Central California. The plaintiffs allege Hyundai manufactured, marketed, distributed, and sold its 2020 Palisade without disclosing to purchasers and lessees of its issue with windshields cracking, chipping, and otherwise spontaneously breaking. The plaintiffs are seeking a trial by jury along with financial compensation.

According to the class action complaint, the windshield issues cause dangers to safety and Hyundai refuses to admit the glass is defective. The automaker also allegedly refuses to offer a proper fix for the cracked windshields other than forcing Palisade owners to pay for replacement windshields that are also defective, according to the class action complaint.

The complaint claims Hyundai is responsible for the following:

• Breach of express warranty;
  • Breach of implied warranty of merchantability;
  • Violations of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act;
  • Common law fraud;
  • Unjust enrichment;
  • Violations of the Illinois Consumer Fraud and Deceptive Business Practice Act; and
  • Violations of the Washington Consumer Protection Act.

According to the plaintiffs, Hyundai marketed 2020 Palisade as its “flagship premium” sports utility vehicle offering consumers “exceptional comfort, technology and safety.

The company also began marketing in the summer of 2019, and within months owners and lessees began reporting problems with the windshields in their vehicles.

“A typical account of the defect starts with a small chip in the windshield glass, sometimes in response to contact with a small object such as a pebble or bug but often with no impact. The chip quickly expands into a major crack or “spiderweb” of cracks. Alternatively, cracks can appear suddenly and without warning in the windshield glass. Owners and lessees often experienced the defect shortly after purchase—even on the first drive home from the dealership,” a portion of the complaint reads.

Incident

According to the complaint, Ford purchased a 2020 Hyundai Palisade and within 4,225 miles the windshield cracked from being hit by a pebble on the right upper corner of the glass. Ford claims the crack extended to the center of the windshield and paid more than $880 to have the windshield replaced. Meanwhile, Forehand purchased a 2020 Hyundai Palisade, but at 2,000 miles the windshield cracked when a pebble, according to the complaint, hit it. Forehand said she had to wait about three weeks for a replacement windshield that cost her $250.

The plaintiffs allege Hyundai was aware of the alleged defect but continued to market and sell the SUV without notifying its customers.

“Dozens of owners and lessees have voiced their complaints about the defect on the official complaint database of the National Highway Transportation Safety Authority (NHTSA), as well as various online forums,” a portion of the class action complaint reads.

As of press time Hyundai has not respond with a comment on the class action complaint. Look to a future edition of glassBYTEs for more information on this suit.

This entry was posted in glassBYTEs Original Story and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Hyundai Owners Allege Windshields Spontaneously Break in Class Action Complaint

1. Michael Lattomus says:

These people are just plain stupid. All windshields break from stones. The Hyundai glass is not made or sold as impact resistance. I really hope Hyundai counter sues these idiots.

• Curt Parys says:

With all due respect, they are seeing 7 to 9 times the defect rate of like-suvs. Pull up the complaints on the NHTSA for the Palisade and Telluride. It’s shocking how many issues these vehicles have.

• Arlene Dyer says:

My 2020 Tuscon’s windshield just cracked while sitting in drive way from one end to the other. Nothing hit my windshield. So, Hyundai so far has been as huge disappointment. Does anyone know how can I join the class action suit? Thank you.

• Min Kaur says:

Hi Arlene, same thing happened to me 2 weeks ago. Called Hyundai dealer, they will not cover the cost for repair. Let me know if you find more information on this.

Best regards,
        Min

• John says:

My 2014 SF Sport developed a crack near the bottom center that extends up about 8 inches and turns toward the driver’s side, it just appeared one morning, no stone strike. My daughter has a 2019 with the exact same crack!

2. Steve Dow says:

Our 2020 Palisade windshield cracked from pebble hit on freeway.1000 miles on the odometer and 3 weeks after we purchased!! This small pebble immediately created a 12″ crack toward the center of the windshield. Initial quote from GlassDoctor in So Cal is $1500 with camera calibration and HUD display.

3. Susan Jay says:

Well my Tucson wasn’t even hit by a pebble, was parked all day and when getting in my car crack comes up from under hood and goes straight across to almost the passenger side. Oh and I only have 2600 miles on it!

4. kirk McIntosh says:

My new 2020 Palisade (purchased JUL 2020) windshield recently cracked starting right behind the rear view mirror; the crack is now approximately 20 inches long. The start of the crack shows no indication of an impact…it just starts at the top of the windshield. We noticed it after it extended beyond the darkened area around the camera/rear view mirror and, within a day, it expanded down and across the windshield. The local auto glass repair shop has been trying to get a replacement now for 3 weeks but has been unsuccessful. So, on a whim, I looked up “Hyundai Palisade Cracked Windshield” and found that this is apparently a common problem. This is very inconvenient, unsightly, and potentially dangerous as the crack continues to grow.

5. Arthur Fenster says:

When my 2020 Santa Fe is pointed toward the sun you can see numerous, pin-head sized star cracks in my windshield. These were suddenly there. They are not from stones or gravel as they are to numerous and to small. The car currently has about 6200 miles on it. But yet the windshield looks like I drove through a sandstorm. When I brought the car to my dealer I think he thought I was crazy.

6. Sherrie Miara says:

This morning I came outside to fine the rear windshield of my 2021 Tucson completely shattered. There was a large defect area in the right upper portion that was puckered outward and in the fashion of tempered glass the entire thing shattered. I was hit by nothing, the car was in my driveway l night. It wasn’t exceptionally cold out and I had not used the rear defroster but once since I purchased the vehicle 2 1/2 weeks ago

7. Steve says:

Bought a 2020 Palisade in December and they put a windshield in it before I bought it as It was used and a Week later a crack formed lower passenger corner with no impact, Dealer agreed there was no Impact and asked the windshield shop to replace for free. Three months to get another one. Had it installed March 22nd. Crack formed Lower Passenger corner Yesterday morning with no impact, 3 in away March 27th. Dealer is closed for the weekend but I will take it back on Tuesday. I have owned it for 4 months and it has been crack free for 12 days total haha. But I’m Canadian so no class action suits up here.

8. Tim Foley says:

i bought a 2021 hyundai elantra back in feb of 21 and put 2200 miles on it when my windshield was hit by a small rock on the highway and smashed. This is not common and i would love to know how i can get onto this lawsuit.

9. Julie says:

My 2020 Hyundai Palisade was sitting on the driveway after my husband came home from running errands. I came out to the car 30 minutes later and as I closed the driver’s door to prepare to leave, the rear passenger window shattered completely without any impact whatsoever. There were no chips, no cracks, no indication of any contact. Our gardeners had been outside working and stated that no one came near our car.
    Will keep up with this thread to see how we can file a claim as well.

10. Sharley says:

Same thing happened to me, 2019 Hyundai Ioniq, long crack starting from the bottom near the driver side extending nearly all the way up to the top toward the passenger side. It was parked in my driveway with no evidence of a rock or pebble having hit it. But that’s not all, next thing that happened was the back windshield completely shattered upon closing the hatchback. There was nothing in there to make contact with the glass upon closing it. I was told that their technicians looked at it and could not find “proof” of a defect so they will not cover replacing it. There is literally nothing left of the windshield so I’m not sure what kind of “proof” they were even looking for. I leased this car, brand new off the lot, and liked it so much I figured I would by it buy the end of the lease, but now this. So disappointing.