TH Chiro, PLLC has become the lead plaintiff in a class action complaint, filed in Tennessee, against Jaguar Land Rover North America LLC (JLRNA). In the class action complaint, Chiro alleges the auto manufacturer is responsible for windshield leaks that cause internal damage to select vehicle models. He is seeking financial reimbursements for damages.

According to the class action complaint, Land Rover Discovery windshields leak and have caused dashboard computer system failures due to excess water damage. The class action complaint stated 2013 to 2020 Land Rover Discovery SUVs were impacted. Chiro alleges he lost all dashboard controls, signals, messaging and instrumentation after water leaked into the computer system from his vehicle’s windshield. “This created dangerous driving conditions, a problem allegedly common in 2017 Discovery SUVs,” said Chiro.

After water allegedly leaked into the SUV from the windshield. Chiro took his vehicle to the dealership for repairs and was allegedly told windshield leaks were a common problem from JLRNA, according to the class action complaint. Chiro claims his SUV was at the dealership for two months before he was notified to pick up the vehicle. According to the class action complaint, Chiro’s Discovery had a moldy odor, oh which he stated was from the dealership allegedly leaving the vehicle “closed up, wet and un cleaned for two months.” The complaint alleges JLRNA would not resolve the leaking windshield issues Chiro experienced.

“Land Rover allegedly knew about the windshield problem with its Discovery models but actively concealed the windshield leak defect,” a portion of the class action complaint reads.

The class action complaint states Land Rover should reimburse customers the purchase price of its Discovery “if the SUV sustained serious damage from a leaking windshield.” According to Chiro, the 2017 Discovery SUVs should be recalled because of its windshield leaking issues and should be “properly repaired by the automaker” as well as an extend windshield warranty for impacted vehicles.

Due to the allegations mentioned in Chiro’s class action complaint, he is seeking a trial by jury as well as financial reimbursements. As of press time the defendant have not responded to glassBYTEs’ request for comment on the complaint. Look to a future edition of glassBYTEs for more information on this suit.

This article is from glassBYTEs™, the free e-newsletter that covers the latest auto glass industry news. Click HERE to sign up—there is no charge. Interested in a deeper dive? Free subscriptions to Auto Glass Repair and Replacement (AGRR) magazine in print or digital format are available. Subscribe at no charge HERE.

This entry was posted in glassBYTEs Original Story and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

35 Responses to Class Action Complaint Filed Against Land Rover For Alleged Windshield Leaking Issue

1. Ashley says:

2016 landrover discover leaky windshield lights are out

2. S says:

My 2017 Discovery leaked from the windshield. I now have gearbox failure and waiting for the dealership to tell me the next move. I will not wait 2 months. I will be provided weekly updates. I will not be charged for a defected design. Who or how do I go about contributing my complaint to a factory recall?

• Tisha Nesbitt says:

Same deal with my vehicle. New windshield was on backorder and has been with the dealership for a couple weeks now for repairs. It’s been repaired but now waiting for new carpet to be replaced because of the water damage. If I’m being honest I don’t want the car back with all these issue. If I can contribute to this please let me know how.

• Matt says:

Same issue with my 2020 Disco exactly. How can I join a class action? So much water leaked in that there was standing water in the car. I moved and the new dealership refuses to put me in their system and says the windshield are back-ordered. Meanwhile, my car is still wet and stinky inside (going on 6 weeks now). center electronics are off and on shorting out. The dealership won’t get me a loaner either – this is my family’s only car. The dealership today told me to “total it” with my insurance carrier. Corporate gave me a case number and they just completely ignore all communications.

3. Anthony Migliore says:

My 2019 discovery Si6 started to leak from the windshield in late November. Called to schedule and they were 1 month out. After explaining the urgency of the situation, they found an opening 3 weeks out. I was told this appointment was only to verify the windshield leak and that replacement windshields were on back order.They have no time table for arrival. I have since had to apply a rubber mastic tape at the crease of the upper seam of the windshield. This made the situation more managable. I now have a musty odor in my car and an ugly tape job on my windshield.

4. Jennifer Spaulding says:

This will be my second time having this happen to my 2017 discovery

5. Edgar says:

Wow
    This situation on windshield leaking is very nasty and Jaguar Land Rover in the United States need to recover all those that are with Assembling wrong doing overall windshield and replaced immediately without wasting time
    I’m in the same shoes right now and it’s devastating to have a nice brand new car leaking water I do wish to have the Jaguar Land Rover CEO driving one of those leaking water, then they probably understand the urgency to fix immediately the issue, here in Miami is raining daily and have to drive with issue, not when I’m paying to the bank car loan I do feel stupid that is confusing Jaguar Land Rover need to take action according to the issue windshield leaking Land Rover discovery, I’m thinking to give up in returned to the dealer and call the bank to deal with this issue and stop paying the car and take to court Jaguar Land Rover to investigate the manufacture quality control, or Toyota has to teach them high quality control in every process of assembling vehicles ‍♂️

6. Mike Venter says:

My Landrover Discovery 2017 has had leaky windshield from day one. Its been back at the dealer multiple times for repairs and every time after repair I was told it would never leak again. This seems to be a known issue and deliberate cover up by Landrover to lie low and not take action.

This issue has compromised my safety and my family on numerous occasions. I am willing to join any class action lawsuit to resolve this annoying issue.

7. Jackie says:

My windshield is leaking on my Discovery 2018. It’s been at the dealer for over three weeks. I went to get some of my belongings out and it smelled musty. I let the service guys know and I documented it. I wondered why it was taking so long now I assume the windshields are on back order.

8. John W Hey says:

Same thing. After taking on water my vehicle ‘went dark’ going down the road. The electrical system is now all whacky. The eta for a windshield from the UK has been pushed back twice. I called Jaguar NA and they admitted they have orders from LAST YEAR that are not filled yet. Now my thermostat etc is not working either. I fear I have a lemon Worst vehicle I’ve ever owned. A Land Rover for God’s sake. I tracked down this lawer and his paralegal answered and I got a “we can’t talk about it” so that tells me JNA is negotiating.

9. Stephen says:

My 2019 New Discovery had an undetected windshield leak from May 2020 until last week, when after a rainy 3 days, my car footwells and structure underneath the floors filled entirely with water. All the electronics started to fail last weekend. The water was a half inch above the carpets, and at every turn or stop light, an enormous quantity of water could be heard sloshing back and forth under the floors. When I opened each door, about a quarter gallon of water would pour out from the frame. This situation is extremely disconcerting. I am very concerned about all of the electronics and the ability to now repair the damages. It has been at the garage for 3 days now, but they have called to say that it will be a long time to fix everything. The staff at the garage seemed to immediately know that it was related to my windshield.

10. Kelly Bates says:

I am in the sam situation with my 2018 Discovery. I have had the windshield replaced once and now it is back in for a second time with the same problem.

11. nicole Pagonis says:

My 2018 discovery had smelled funky all January and I couldn’t figure out why
    Then a large storm hit and the entire car was flooded.
    My car has been in the shop for over 5 weeks and I am told I am #384 on the list for repairs. The manager at the dealership literally told me “this has been a known problem for years, I am surprised your took so long to leak”. I am concidering getting an attorney

12. Adolfo Llamas says:

Mine leaked and got everything soaked, they are letting it sit smelling horrible for almost 3 weeks before they look at it, even though they had already verified the leak days before it happened.

Where can I join this class action?

13. Mrs C says:

I have a 2017 Discovery 5, with all the bells and whistles, it was $150k. I think it is a lemon. We had the musty smell within the first yr. Turns out the water was leaking through the windshield. Windshield replaced. 2 yrs down the track, and we have one of the worst Storms on the east coast of australia. But still you would think it was water tight. NO..musty smell back, but this time when we open car doors, a river runs out of the car. We were able to drive, with no issue, but the following day the electrics had a fit. Managed to get car started, and drive to Landrover – having said that no computer, no speedometer, no indicators functioning. The car now sits at the service centre, unable to be started. In fact they say it may have to be written off. Where does that leave us??

14. Jaime Castillo says:

Same situation with my 2018 Discovery. I dropped the car off for repair on March 8th and after 15 days I’m still waiting. Apparently the new windshield is on backorder. I suspected that something wrong was going on when the immediate suggestion, just after I showed to the service advisor a photo of the soaked passenger side window frame, was that the windshield needed to be replaced . It seems that this is going to take a while since it is a common issue on the Discovery. I will highly appreciate any advise to start a claim or join other owners in a class action. I am not willing to spend my Lease time driving a loaner.

15. Wilfred Ferguson says:

Same happened here with the 2017 Range Rover Evoque

16. Wilfred Ferguson says:

Same happened here with the 2017 Range Rover Evoque. Leaked onto dashboard and carpet as well as interior overhead. Nothing but problems with this car.

17. Michelle Jones says:

I have a 2017 Discovery that the windshield is leaking, getting the inside of the car very wet!! Now the auto lights do not work. Contacted dealership 2 about this issue.

18. Michael Lambros says:

I can only reiterate the comments from above, Hunt Valley Land Rover of Baltimore, fixed my leaky Evoque, only to have it begin leaking again later into the covid lock down, so now they say my warranty is up and they want me to pay for the repair. Land Rover USA has a service bulletin N221 on the leak and they still won’t support the repair.

19. Gretchen Artig says:

Same deal with my 2017 discovery. Windshield leak, leading to complete computer failure. I want to join this class action suit. I have been waiting for weeks to get my car repaired.

20. Rick Hughes says:

2018 Discovery. Just started leaking profusely. Drivers seat, centre console, instrument cowl saturated from a brief 10 mins shower. Drove into garage, dried the sunroof and seals and checked by pouring water on join. No leak. Poured water at windscreen join – Flores down the inside of the windscreen and out of headliner. Probably 10 mL came through from 250 mL poured! How does this fail so badly?

21. Jack says:

2019 discovery leaking!
    Omg this is so bad from this brand!
    My leaked today and I was checking online to see if any others are same as me! And I found tonne of people who have this same problem!! Fk me..there go out dream car..

22. Trey says:

Unfortunately i have to join this thread. 2017 Discovery with a leaking windshield. Thankfully I’ve discovered it before our rainy season in the Pacific Northwest but this sucks! What can we do? Who do we call? My AEB, LKA, Blind Spot and Driver Fatigue are not available. We bought this for the safety features and now they do not work due to this water intrusion! If anyone can provide any information please do.

23. G. says:

Same problem with my 2016 Evoque (still under bumper-bumper warranty).
    1st leak caused mold, several important electrical components shorted out. LR Dealership supposedly repaired it under the N221 windshield water ingress recall.

Then it happened again…this time even more electrical systems completely fried, including ability to start car with smart key. Water was streaming down onto the dash. Visibility compromised.

LR Dealership AND Land Rover USA corp refuse to pay for this repair, daring to claim it’s just windshield wear and tear (even though it was JUST fully replaced a year and a half prior?).

They’re not even covering the repair under the extended bumper-to-bumper warranty, much less factor in basic logic that THEIR manufacturing defect continues to plague this vehicle — and MANY other LR models.
    Very confident another leak will happen…which safety features will malfunction THEN while I’m driving?

Every LR owner forum includes post after post verifying the never-ending water ingress defects…and I wish MORE PEOPLE WOULD VOICE THEIR COMPLAINTS and not feel helpless!

I rarely post reviews or complain, but Land Rover has proven to be abysmal at customer service (just google it…they’re at the bottom of the list).

They’d rather focus all their $ and energy into advertising to lure consumers into buying these poor-quality money trap cars…then COMPLETELY abandon customers who put trust in their product claims and warranty assurances.

NEVER would have bought this car if I knew the warranty was basically useless, especially had I known the dangerous defect issues with water leaks would never be resolved.

Folks, I’m on board with a class action for ALL the models affected.
    LR is getting away with this fraud and wrongdoing because not enough people file complaints and seem to feel helpless!

Wish more would go to NHTSA dot gov and lodge complaints, as well other sites to raise attention to these VERY LEGITIMATE SAFETY CONCERNS.
    The more awareness and attention on these problems, the more likely something can be done.

24. Natasha says:

Here is my friends Range Rover Leaking in Rain –

The same situation for him as G(earlier post), parts are 7 months backlog, and LR told him to wait for 7 months as his car is leaking every passing storm.

I was about to buy an LR and he personally drove me to Porsche. FYI, He works for the TATA group, aside from marketing, that TATA group companies are as shady as they get.

25. Gwendolyn Young says:

Omg I got in my car the other day and water was everywhere and I immediately went to the dealer and was just told it’s a leaking windshield and now my check engine light is on and giving all kinds of codes.

Not happy! I’ve only been in the vehicle for 4 months. I will not be waiting two months for my car to be repaired and if there is electrical damage because of this they will be taking this car back.

I want in on this class action suit.

26. Susan Distin says:

I am having the same issue on my 2018 Discovery HSE. I finally got my car back after LR having it for 4 months to replace my engine only to now have this happen. My engine light is back on my car is filled with water. I too would like in on this lawsuit.

27. Renee Cavalier says:

Minnesota – 2016 Land Rover Discovery Sport leaky windshield I had to do something , I had w/s replaced, still leaking

28. Seanstokes says:

We have a 2019 Land Rover the windshield leaking. Took two month tkk on replace the windshield. Lasted 3 months now it’s leaking again.

29. Julie says:

Nevada – My 2020 Evoque’s windshield is leaking also. Previously, I have been having electronic issues and am now wondering if that has something to do with it. The dealership has had my car for three days and has not given me any information.

30. Todd says:

Our 2017 Discovery First Edition just had the exact same thing happen in a recent rain storm in California. The water was sloshing around in the floorboards and fried the electrical. The dealer knew exactly what it was before I did, stating that this is a common issue with the Discovery. The car is two months out of warranty with fewer than 40,000 miles. The dealership just gave me the estimate to fix at 20,000.00! I’m completely dumbfounded. Here is a company that advertises that you can drive these vehicles through a river, yet a simple rain event renders the vehicle completely useless and it will break us to fix it. I’d love to find a class action lawsuit to join. I’m so upset that I feel sick to my stomach.

31. Mary says:

I have a 2018 Discovery and my windshield is leaking. They will have my car for over 6 weeks. They did give me a Range Rover velar to drive instead. My car is leased and the lease is almost up

32. Spencer Williams says:

2019 Land Rover discovery. Windshield is being replaced now

33. Colin Heaney says:

I’m in England my 2017 Discovery 5 with 26k miles on clock stated doing strange things hill decent and auto stop start buttons started flashing white even when car not running and locked. Battery low start car message all time, couldn’t open trunk as not enough power until started car.
    My wife said their had been a tiny trickle of water accasionally running down screen. In June this year it got worse with special setting lights flashing too again when car locked. UNTIlL one day the car wouldn’t start at all completely dead. The next issue is the handbook doesn’t tell you how to get car into neutral to two, says only allowed by specialist engineer. Ridiculous! When we got a jump pack on it , it started but still had the keeping in neutral issue, eventually no thanks to JLR we found a switch in engine compartment that locked it in neutral.
    Now here’s the kicker, not all of us can afrord a main dealer, so I sent car to landrover specialist with 30years experience. Not knowing what was causing the problem at this time.
    They soon established that the whole screen had become debonded from the car, lettting in water. I now know through forums in England that JLR know about this issue but as it’s not deemed a safety issue they don’t recall the cars to check.
    I ended up with a new battery,two new control modules and rebonded screen and a bill for £1514.00
    I contacted JLR customer service and they Didn’t want to know, I should have taken it to a main dealer ( how did I know that when I didn’t know what the isssue was) the option they gave was stop any work being done have the car transported to a main dealer and they would look at it, oh! And as it was just out of warranty they might make a jester of good will towards any repairs, or they might not.! Really unhelpful and off be warned.

The reason I am putting this on an American site is to warn anyone who might be experiencing issues such as mine to get the car to a main dealer and make a really fuss, make a lot of noise in the showroom, contact JLR customer care ( joke) and log a case asap against the dealership, so then customer service might get on it and recall these cars……All it is ,is a simple windscreen check and it can resolve all these issues

Good Luck and if I can get added to a class action let m eknow how