Chrysler’s Leaky Sunroof Class Action Lawsuit Ends

The ongoing class action lawsuit between David Cox and Chrysler has been settled. According to U.S. Magistrate Judge Tonianne J. Bongiovanni’s order, Fiat Chrysler automobiles (FCA) has agreed to pay attorney’s fees, costs and an incentive reward separately from the class member’s injunctive relief.

According to Judge Bongiovanni, the class members (plaintiffs) will be awarded $350,000 for attorneys’ fees and $128,873.79 for costs. The Court also approved the $4,000 incentive award that will be paid by FCA and given to Cox.

The lawsuit against Chrysler, was filed in 2014 by Cox, who alleged the manufacturer was negligent in disclosing to owners that regular maintenance is needed on the sunroof drain tubes of affected vehicles. The Jeep Patriot, Jeep Liberty, Jeep Compass, Jeep Commander, Jeep Cherokee, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Chrysler Town and Country and Chrysler 300, from model years 2009 to present were named in the class action complaint.

Both parties came close to a settlement in November 2019. However there were additional motion hearings prior to the final settlement being ordered. FCA previously stated it has no objections to the financial relief the plaintiffs sought after.

Background

In his class action complaint, Cox stated that he had owned a 2010 Jeep Patriot for less than a year before the sunroof began leaking, which damaged the interior.

“Cox brought his vehicle in to the Chrysler dealer’s service department to service the sunroof leak immediately. The Chrysler dealer replaced the radio and cleaned out the sunroof drain tubes,” a portion of his complaint reads.

According to court documents, Cox’s sunroof continued to leak after the dealer cleaned out the sunroof drain tubes. In June 2013 Cox brought his vehicle into the Chrysler service department again. This time Chrysler allegedly refused to repair the sunroof leak under the warranty. It stated that clogged drain tubes is a maintenance problem and does not fall under its warranty.

According to the class action complaint, Cox claims he was never told by Chrysler that the vehicle’s sunroof drain tubes would need routine maintenance. Chrysler responded by denying most of the allegations that were made against the company.

This article is from glassBYTEs™, the free e-newsletter that covers the latest auto glass industry news. Click HERE to sign up—there is no charge. Interested in a deeper dive? Free subscriptions to Auto Glass Repair and Replacement (AGRR) magazine in print or digital format are available. Subscribe at no charge HERE.

This entry was posted in glassBYTEs Original Story and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Chrysler’s Leaky Sunroof Class Action Lawsuit Ends

1. Kent Irving says:

My 2014 Chrysler T&C van had a leaky sunroof. After talking with my local dealer they informed me that the original drainage tubes were too small. The tubes were replaced with larger tubes that eliminated the problem.

2. I have a 2008 Jeep Liberty Sport that I purchased from Chrysler of Culpeper,that has a sunroof that I took in to be fix several times for a leaking sunroof ,which they claimed they fixed .On my last trip there the Service manager told me that the “leak guy”that was working for them wasn’t doing his job so they fired him.I was told to bring my car back and they would “have a look at it” when I went to pick it up all they were worried about was the cost,even though I had an extended warranty will guess what was told that wouldn’t be covered which it had been covering the cost each time I took it for leaking so I now have a car in great condition that I can only use when the sun is shining and have to keep a cover over it when it calls for rain I love my jeep but would never buy another one I don’t want to trade it in bc of the low mileage and in such good condition I just want it fixed I hope this letter makes it to Chrysler of Culpeper

3. Brandy says:

I have a 2008 Jeep Liberty that I purchased approx. 5 years ago. Sadly, I was unaware of the issues that were to come with the SkySlider. I was so excited about it too and no more than 3 months into ownership did I begin to discover the endless issues. I would really like to know more about the class action lawsuit and if there is any assistance that I might be able to get in some kind of repair. The slider stop closing and I have had to manually shut it as it is off of the track (again) and I no longer can drive on the highway because it tends to lift of the body whenever I’m going to fast (as in the speed limit of 65-75). Which makes it extremely difficult to travel any reasonable distance. I do not have the money to fix it or make a new purchase. COVID has made sure of that. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much for your time.

4. Dana Massat says:

I have a 2008 Jeep commander Overland that leaks from every window door crack opening

5. Reggie M says:

I have a 2006 Chrysler 300c 5.7 and my sunroof leaks only on my driver side. I have the tube blown out and it still leaks. I do not want to seal my sunroof shut. Any suggestions?

• John Nagy says:

Where exactly are the drain tubes in our panorama roofs? My car leaks as well. The water comes in through the rear reading lights on both sides. But when I looked at the roof today, I couldn’t find any drain holes.

6. Ray Harrington says:

What was the outcome of this suite and what is being done about a fix for these retractable sliders ?
    I need to get mine fixed

7. Maria bowers says:

It has been raining for 2 weeks. My car interior is growing mold. I will never buy a jeep again

8. Cheryl Pilling says:

I am having the same problem with my 2014 Cherokee Trailhawk. Seems like my panoramic sunroof is leaking and I want to check the drains, but now it’s gonna rain for 2 days. I feel like I bought a used lemon

9. Jaron Robinson says:

I have a 2015 Chrysler 300s with a leaking sunroof and water has damage the back seat and carpet. Please help. My Chrysler extended warranty won’t cover it.

10. Kathy spencer says:

I have a 2006 jeep commander limited …sunroof leaking into my floorboards…what is the solution to this issue….is there a recall?????

11. Paul Eberhardt says:

I’m having this issue with my 2012 300s but I was told drain tube are functioning properly. Can’t find where it could be coming from. PLEASE HELP

12. Patricia says:

I have a 2005 Chrysler 300 that recently started leaking I assume from the sunroof. About a month or so ago there was heavy rain from a hurricane and I noticed water seeping through the passenger side roof. Every since that day, every time it rains it seems like more and more leakage is happening. A few times a whole lot of water came through the back seat roof and the passenger side as well as a little on the driver side while I was driving. It looks like the sunroof is not fully flushing with the top of the car when it closes. I don’t see anything in the way of the track so I’m not sure what to do.

13. Kenneth J Young says:

2015 Town and country just recently we had a rain storm and a tree limb broke the windsheild and the water was leaking in through the liner. We took it in for insurance and they refused to cover stating this was a maintenance issue. No maintenance was recommended by Crysler and they said it was not covered under the manufacturers warranty.

14. Cheyanne says:

There is a river in my 2010 Jeep Patriot every time it is raining. I live on Vancouver Island so this happens all the time. My interior is destroyed due to the water damage.

15. La'Neishea Caufield-Daniels says:

I have a Chrysler Town and Country and was unaware of this too. My radio has stopped working and every time it rains, water leaks in my sunroof. This is ridiculous.

16. Scott Miller says:

Add me to the list. 2018 Chrysler 300 Limited, 50k miles. Leaking through rear passenger side overhead grab handle everytime it rains. Headliner has big water stain. Took to dealer. They said drains were clogged and they cleared them (seems impossible), charged me $277. Still leaking.

17. Christopher says:

2017 Jeep Cherokee 30k miles, water leaking in the rear right side. Dealership said it’s not covered under warranty. And it damaged something else. Now they told me it has to be flushed and cleaned every year. I had other cars with sunroof for years and never had this problem. It’s poor workmanship.

18. Jane Lee says:

2016 Jeep Patriot sun roof leaked after 10,000 miles. Dealer wanted to charge $180 for test fee and couple hundreds for fixing it. I found many similar issues national wide.
    How can we file a new class action? Who is willing to take the case? Everyone should report the issue to federal bureau.
    Thanks.

19. Deborah Caddell says:

I have a 2016 200 leaking water . Chrysler had known since the Sebring that this is a defect with their cars . Yet they claim it’s maintenance but no where is it noted in their manual s I want in on the law suit

20. Diane Clubb says:

I will be contacting a lawyer to start a class action lawsuit against Chrysler for these faulty sunroofs . Our car is destroyed.

If your interested in being part of this lawsuit please leave a comment saying so and I’ll fill you in with the details.

21. Caroline says:

my 2016 Jeep GC’s sunroof has been leaking for about 6 months. Weird that it never leaks in a car wash but it leaks during rain storms. I am about to get up there and check the gasket or blow out the drainage tubes or ??? Very annoying because my drivers seat and the carpets in the 2nd row get wet. I am careful to dry out each time we have a rain storm but this is a bit ridiculous.

22. P Reno says:

Definitely interested in class action. I paid 32k in 2012 for a Liberty Jet Limited Edition with a Sky Slider soft top. It has malfunctioned several times and repaired by Jeep but now Jeep says there are no parts available to repair Skyslider roofs on Jeep Liberty vehicles 2008-2012. Saying the manufacturer went out of business and there are no after market parts manufactured. So we are left with no roofs? They are unsafe as they can fly off once the cheap plastic retaining clips break with no repair part available. NHTS has reports of this and have done nothing. I never imagined a car manufacturer could sell a vehicle that could not be repaired.

23. Sam Quint says:

In other words, the only long term solution is to procure some UV-impervious plastic tape and tape the sunroof up. Then pull the fuses to the sunroof controls. This would meet with Chrysler approval since they don’t have to shell out a nickel …

although many Buyers will switch to Hyundai Palisades or Honda Passports. Better warranty and apparently a better design in the sunroof area (not to mention many other better features).

The really ambitious entrepreneur might develop and market a kit with a UV-proof molded sunroof opening filler plate with instructions on how to remove the sunroof mechanism entirely (to be replaced by the filler plate with UV-grade silicone caulk).