Shop Alleges Unfair and Deceptive Trade Practices, Seeks Injunction

A Massachusetts auto glass company has sued Safelite Solutions and five insurance companies accusing the glass claims administrator of making false statements about it in an alleged attempt to steer business away. The company asks the court for a preliminary injunction to immediately halt the alleged practice.

Affordable Auto Glass of West Springfield, Mass., filed the lawsuit in state court, alleging unfair and deceptive trade practices. It told the court that “Safelite has a practice of redirecting business from non-Safelite motor vehicle glass repair shops by providing insured and prospective customers with false information.” The complaint also says that Safelite’s repeated false statements that Affordable was not a registered motor vehicle repair shop constitutes an unfair and deceptive trade practice. It goes on to allege that Safelite’s repeated redirection of Affordable customers and prospective Affordable customers to other shops constitutes an unfair and deceptive trade practice.

The case, Affordable Auto Glass, Inc. v. Safelite Solutions et. al., was filed in the Hampden Division of the Massachusetts Superior Court on May 5, 2021. The complaint cites numerous specific instances of where it alleges that Safelite, acting as claims administrator for one of the named insurance companies, denies Affordable’s prospective customers approval to use the shop or being redirected to other shops, on the “false basis that Affordable was not an ‘approved’ or registered shop.”

Affordable states that it has been a registered motor vehicle glass repair shop with the Commonwealth of Massachusetts for more than 20 years and provided copies of its certificates of registration. The company requests permanent injunctive relief from the court saying that it will suffer irreparable harm if the court does not stop Safelite’s alleged false and deceptive practices. Affordable also separately filed for an emergency motion for a preliminary injunction to have the court immediately halt Safelite from acting in this matter.

According to the court calendar, Safelite’s answer in the case is due by September 2, 2021.

Read the full complaint.

This article is from glassBYTEs™, the free e-newsletter that covers the latest auto glass industry news. Click HERE to sign up—there is no charge. Interested in a deeper dive? Free subscriptions to Auto Glass Repair and Replacement (AGRR) magazine in print or digital format are available. Subscribe at no charge HERE.

This entry was posted in glassBYTEs Original Story and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Shop Alleges Unfair and Deceptive Trade Practices, Seeks Injunction

1. John says:

They deserved to be be sued. Trying to steer work to themselves and can’t even get it done right.

2. Rose Haas says:

We are a glass shop in Hillsdale Michigan and also have found the Safelite company try to
    get customers to use their company and tell the insurer that we aren’t a approved shop and
    that if they use our shop that work wouldn’t be under warranty or that they would have to
    possibly have to pay more money. We warranty our own work and agree to what the insurance company pays us. By law the insurer has the right to go to any shop that they
    chose to..

• Just happen to us today- job was cancelled – I called her out on it and she said she was just reading from a script- She did not know what to say to me – I’m not stirring she said – I told her yes she was and then she shut up. The person decided not go with us because
      of what she said even thought we have been in business for 32 years.

3. Carroll says:

This is a great idea, but this lawsuit will go nowhere. This is not the first time that Safelite has been hit with this. Our company has been a victim of this practice, and the customer has told Safelite to pound sand.
    We have expressed our concern with Safelite “upper management” and the common response is that the CSR misspoke and we will inform them of the proper way to handle claims.
    Like I said great idea but maybe a waste of money!!!!

4. Pingback: Massachusetts Shop Owners Report Losing Work: Safelite Solutions Told Customers Shops Weren’t Properly Licensed | glassBYTEs.com

5. Rick says:

This has been going on for years and will not stop because the U.S. government kisses their tails. Safelite is nothing more than a common day ran monopoly. They have their retail, wholesale and the insurance networks in their pockets. They are owned by a German company and our government doesn’t want to stir the pot as they say. Good luck with their suit but doubt anything will come of it.
    Safelite has ruined the auto glass industry for the smaller shops that do not have their own insurance networks

6. Scott says:

As a couple of others have said in the comments, this has been going on for years, even decades. I don’t see how there is NOT a conflict of interest existing by allowing a national glass shop chain to also be a third party administrator representing most of the insurance industry. Of course steering will happen and continue to until Safelite has the wood laid to them in court in the form of gigantic fines. Just not holding my breath waiting for this to occur.

7. Pingback: Legal Battles, Safelite Top Stories for Auto Glass Industry - glassBYTEs.comglassBYTEs.com

8. Del Naja says:

I’ve worked for Safelite for 7 years total! And this is without a doubt a know common issue that needs to be stopped. I do not understand how companies like Safelite go under the radar from Congressional hearing considering their deviant practice that is more noticeable than any other cooperate companies.

9. Lisa says:

I have been trying to get a windshield replaced on a 2020 Nissan Sentra. After trying to get it set up through Safelite which was a complete nightmare, I grew so frustrated that I found a highly recommended local business to replace the windshield. Imagine my surprise when I thought I was being connected to my insurance company and instead was transferred to “Safelite Solutions”. Apparently, Safelite has contracted with insurance companies to handle claims and billing on glass repair and replacement even when you don’t use Safelite for your repairs. At this point, after doing research, it seems like Safelite is not only trying to run smaller businesses out of contention, but also creating a monopoly. Someone needs to sue and stop unfair practices by Safelite.

10. Deatrice Hunt says:

I agree they dont mention in advertising that your windshield “may” get worse. I’m pissed off my car had a small nick now my windshield has a long crack reaching the middle. I’m forced to fix it immediately and I’ll most likely will have to go to the same place and pay them