From humble beginnings in Detroit, Mich., in 1932, to expanding with facilities in Llodio, Spain and Karlsruhe, Germany, nearly a year of planning means Guardian Automotive is now Glavista.
Glavista began as Guardian Automotive manufacturing windshields from 1932 to 1984. The Llodio facility was established in the late eighties to produce laminated and tempered glass for OEM and the afttermarket. A small rented storage area grew into a full warehouse from 1990-1999 in Germany, and remains Glavista’s main distribution center.
Then in 2014, Guardian Industries Corp. sold Guardian Automotive Products (GAPI) and Guardian Automotive –E S.A. (GA ESA) to Central Glass Co. Ltd.
Guardian Automotive became independent from Guardian in 2020, and began focusing on auto glass. A new investor and financing in state-of-the-art equipment at the Llodio facility has enabled Glavista to expand offerings to laminated and tempered glass. “Glavista can now fulfill an even greater range of orders for customers in both the OE and Aftermarket,” the company’s release states.
Its new name was revealed Sept. 23 by CEO Oscar Tejedor.
Tejedor notes that “by consistently pushing the bar in this way, Guardian Automotive established itself as a key player in the automotive revolution. Now, as Glavista, we look forward to continuing on this journey full of interesting goals and challenges.”