Subscribe to glassBYTEs!

Tann Offers Look at Safelite Sales Force

Gerry Tann, vice president of field sales for Safelite AutoGlass, recently offered an inside look at the way the company manages its sales force during a presentation at the National Auto Glass Conference in Orlando, Fla.

Tann explained that the company's sales structure includes area sales managers (ASMs), who call on and manage insurance, commercial and wholesale accounts, are typically responsible for one or two major markets and work closely with operations counterparts; regional sales managers (RSMs), who manage several ASMs within a region and constantly evaluate ASMs by conducting ride-alongs every four to six weeks, along with quarterly assessments; and field sales support, which provides the field sales team with support, including training, marketing assistance and accounting support.

Tann explained that both ASMs' and RSMs' base pay typically accounts for 60 percent of their salary and is awarded weekly; additional incentive compensation accounts for the remaining 40 percent (typically), is provided monthly and is determined by an "escalating
scale based on business growth in the different segments over the same time."

In addition, RSMs are eligible for a "year-end kicker" (bonus), which is based on the attainment of five key goals established by the company and company performance.

Benefits include healthcare, company-paid life insurance, a 401(K) program, tuition reimbursement, a company car with personal mileage allowance, fuel card and participation in semi-annual or annual regional sales meetings, according to Tann.

CLICK HERE for full text of Tann's presentation.

Need more info and analysis about the issues?
CLICK HERE to subscribe to AGRR magazine.